Wedding Cake Knife And Server Set

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 11:11pm by kansaswolf

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 11

What is the purpose for these? Are they just for show. If you have your reception at a Country Club the people serving the cake don't really use them, do they? I could see the knife so the bride and groom can cut the cake, but do they really need the server? I have a bride asking because she wants to use her grandmother's set but can only find the knife.

10 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 11

I don't think the server uses them. I was always under the impression it's more for photos & a keepsake for the B&G.

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 11

My daughters wedding was just March 8th and the country club we held the reception at used the knife and server for the main Bridal Cake.

I made 15 cakes for it and we provided knives and servers for each cake.

The country club only cut the main bridal cake but did use the ones we provided.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 11

I know I always bring my own cake-cutting tools, my own knife and my cake cutting comb. The server ... which as a pointy tip .... is pretty useless when cutting rectangle pieces. I would bet it's a carry-over from the days when cake was still cut in pie-wedge-shaped pieces.

I actually rarely see them on tables anymore. Most of my brides even use my knife rather than spend money on something they are only going to use once.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 11

I wouldn't worry too much about the server... As I recall, for my wedding and my brother's, we both just used the knife to cut the cake for pictures (small piece), and then just turned the knife sideways as a "server". Hope that helps!

pjaycakes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 11

I was thinking along the same lines as all of you (that the server was basically useless). However, I just wanted to check. The mother of this bride is kind of freaking and wants everything to be just perfect and politically correct. icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks

indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 11

Oh Geesh! A "posta" mom!

"You're 'POSTA have a knife and server at your wedding!"

pjaycakes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 11

Too funny Indydebi - icon_lol.gif

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 11

My wedding planner/cake slicer thanked me a million times over for having a knife AND server. She said it helps a lot to have the two. I guess its all just preference. I want a cake comb, personally.

indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:06pm
post #10 of 11

Monica, I agree you need two utensils to properly cut-n-serve a cake. I just MUCH prefer the cake comb over a pointy-tipped server! thumbs_up.gif

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:11pm
post #11 of 11

I still think you could get by with just the knife for the PICTURES of the bride and groom cutting the cake. For the actual serving, I don't think it matters if it's a heirloom piece or not. Just something functional.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%