1St Wedding Cake - A Few Questions!

Decorating By AmyShu Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 10:20pm by indydebi

AmyShu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyShu Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I'm working on my first wedding cake, which is making me quite nervous. It's a 3 tier square 14,10, and 6, so not too huge. I've done a 3 tier before, but the largest tier was 10 inches. Here are my questions:

What type of cake board do I need? They have a silver cake plataeu I will put the cake on once I get there, so what should I use so that the board won't be seen?

How much should I assemble beforehand or should I put it all together when I get there? Each tier is ivory buttercream with a black scroll design on the sides only, so I would only have to pipe an ivory border around each tier, but I'm nervous about lifting and stacking the 10" on the 14". And, I'll only be able to get in an hour before the wedding starts. Please help!!!!

3 replies
janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 4

Not that I'm anywhere near pro, but for what it's worth I'd assemble the bottom 2 tiers, transport the cake, put the final tier on at the venue, and then pipe on your borders. Hopefully it's not too long of a drive? I am more nervous assembling things at the function than I am at home. Those tiers should be pretty heavy and stable.... IMO... icon_biggrin.gif

AmyShu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyShu Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks. That was what I was thinking, and it's only 7 or 8 miles to the church, so it shouldn't be too long of a ride. Any ideas on the board?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 4

Will you have the plateau ahead of time or will it be waiting on you at the venue?

I own my plateaus's, so what I do is put the bottom tier on just a single board, then tape the board to the silver stand.

An hour is more than PLENTY of time to assemble 3 tiers and add a border. I do it all the time and I'm in and out in under 10-15 minutes. (I set up full buffets AND the cake in less than an hour.) Take a spatula with you to help lower the tier on the (already doweled) bottom tier. Since you're adding a border anyway, it won't matter if you smudge the edges a little ... you're covering it up with the border.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%