Can Somone Give Me Some Pointers Please For A 1St Bday Cake~

Decorating By brittanydear Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 10:38am by miss_sweetstory

brittanydear Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 13

OK, here is what I would *like* to make. My daugthter is turning one, and she is in love with bananas. I would love to make her a banana cake for her birthday. I am planning on making a coconut white cake, with a pastry cream filling and sliced bananas. For the buttercream, I am thinking of doing somekind of light caramel or chocolate buttercream(thoughts?). I would do a whipped cream icing, but I want to cover the cake with MMF. So, my questions are:
1. Can I refrigerate the cake once it is covered in fondant? If so, what considerations do I need to make. Also, how do I cover the cake (it will be stacked) in the fridge so it does not get an off taste (if that makes sense).
2. About the sliced bananas - do you think they will last in the pastry cream layer? If so, for how long? I am thinking of putting the cake together the night before the party - which will be at 4pm the next day, so I am thinking about 24 hours, but I do not want the bananas brown and mushy.
3. The theme is Going Bananas - a Monkey Ba-NANZA! On the bottom layer of the cake, I am thinking of doing fondant stripes and zig zags. ON the next layer, I am thinking of doing diamonds. The colors will be chocolate brown (which I HATE making that color! - it seems to take about 4 bottles of paste!), pale pink, pale green, and pale yellow.) I will have the stripes and diamonds in pale pink and green, the monkeys in brown and pink, the bananas in pale yellow and brown, with dots trimming the layers. On the top of the cake, will be a fondant number 1, and a monkey in a tutu sitting on a banana (assuming it call comes out!). Does this sound cute?
Any tips would be great!!!

12 replies
wrockee Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 13

That sounds really cute (and like a lot of work). Sorry I can't help you with fondant info, I hate how it tastes so I don't work with it much. I hope that it all comes out great!

mogzilla Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 13

I can't speak to the decorating part, but reading your post, it struck me that if your daughter loves bananas why not make a banana (flavored) cake? I don't know many infants who like coconut.

onceuponacake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 13

i agree with mogzilla..why not banana cake? YUMMY!!! my 14 yr old still doesnt like coconut cake hahahahaha

ashcake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

1. Can I refrigerate the cake once it is covered in fondant? If so, what considerations do I need to make. Also, how do I cover the cake (it will be stacked) in the fridge so it does not get an off taste (if that makes sense).
2. About the sliced bananas - do you think they will last in the pastry cream layer? If so, for how long? I am thinking of putting the cake together the night before the party - which will be at 4pm the next day, so I am thinking about 24 hours, but I do not want the bananas brown and mushy.
3. The theme is Going Bananas - a Monkey Ba-NANZA! On the bottom layer of the cake, I am thinking of doing fondant stripes and zig zags. ON the next layer, I am thinking of doing diamonds. The colors will be chocolate brown (which I HATE making that color! - it seems to take about 4 bottles of paste!), pale pink, pale green, and pale yellow.) I will have the stripes and diamonds in pale pink and green, the monkeys in brown and pink, the bananas in pale yellow and brown, with dots trimming the layers. On the top of the cake, will be a fondant number 1, and a monkey in a tutu sitting on a banana (assuming it call comes out!). Does this sound cute?
Any tips would be great!!!

This cake sounds like it will be cute!!! I hope these will help some!

1. I have used the MMF to cover a cake. I have not put it in the refrigerator however. I believe I have read on here that when you refregerate fondat, you need to let it sit out several hours before you serve it do to condinsation. I'm not positive thought

2. As for the bannana's turning brown. I have not used them on a cake. When I make fruit salad, I pour some lemong juice over the sliced bannanas. This cuts back on the turning time. I don't know if you could do this on your cake or not. Don't soak them in lemon juice, just enough to cover it lightly.

3. As far as making the brown color. I add bakers chocolate to my fondat/icing. I melt it in the microwave and then add it to my fondant/icing. This cuts down on the bad tast. You have to add a little more water to the icing. I usually add 1 section per recipe. If I want it more chocolaty or darker, I add more. Then I add brown coloring to the chocolate fondant/icing until I have the color I want. I also do this to get black.

Hope this helps! Please post pictures of your cake!!!

trixieleigh Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 13

I will agree with the other poster that said you cannot put MMF in the fridge. You could make the pastry cream with evaporated milk and just leave it out on the counter. I think that would work. I like the combination of the coconut cake with the bananas. That sounds delish!

joaaaann Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 13

When I think of a true bananna cake that pops out and screams 'Somebody here LOVES banannas!' I think of this cake I saw on CC a few mos back. Your idea sounds awesome too. I can't wait to see what your cake will look like once it's done!
http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/12242/normal_monkey.jpg

shisharka Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 13

Mmmâ¦one of my favorites⦠Go one step further on the bananas, and avoid any potential issues of them spoiling in the cake â caramelize them! Just cut them in strips, not too thin or theyâll fall apart, put them on a pan with a little bit of butter and brown sugar and sauté until golden-brown. In my âadultâ version I put Kahlua or Rum in the pan too, but you can just add a touch of vanilla for extra kid flavor. Then, when assembling the cake, put a layer of cake, then a thin layer of pastry crème, then caramelized banana strips, then more pastry crème, then cake, and repeat as needed. If you layer the bananas directly on the cake, youâll have an issue with the cake slices falling apart, and if you mash them in the pastry crème the texture becomes very bumpy and weird, so Iâve found the layering to work perfectly⦠Top this off with some chocolate SMBCâ¦

And yes, this needs to be refrigerated⦠I use ChocoPan or SatinIce and they do fine in the fridge, plus you can get the chocolate version, which tastes better than the white anyway, and avoid any brown-coloring issues.

mommyle Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 13

Hi there. You can add cocoa to your MMF while you are kneeding it to make it brown. And yummy. I do it ALL the time.

I also put MMF in the fridge all the time. I even froze it. Just dont touch it if it looks like it is "sweating" and you will be fine. It's like a glass of coke. You take it out of the fridge and your glass will "sweat" depending on how warm your house is and how humid it is. JUST DON'T TOUCH IT!!!!

Sounds like an awesome cake!!!!
HTH

step0nmi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:20pm
post #10 of 13

ok...everyone already answered the question about the fondant...I think this sounds like a CUTE cake...AND if you like banana's do a banana flavored cake with chocolate buttercream! I tried this just a few weeks ago and it is DELICIOUS! I got the banana cake recipe from the Cake Mix Dr. Book...if you want the recipe PM me.

Also, if you are going to make a smash cake for your daughter may I suggest using a whip cream instead of frosting? I just had this experience last week where the mom asked for cool whip on it instead of buttercream because if they have too much sugar they might...you know...not settle right in the stomach and come up later. I had never thought about it but Just thought I'd suggest it!

BTW... the cake sounds sooo cute!

brittanydear Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:09am
post #11 of 13

Awesome ideas guys! I LOVE the idea about using carmelized bananas! That would be really yummy I think. I will also consider playing around with the cake flavors. I will also look into fidning a pastry cream recipe with evaporated milk.
A couple of more questions:
I wonder, if I refrigerate my MMF, about how long should I allow it to sweat in my AC house?
Also, if I use the baking chocolate, like someone suggested in my MMF. Is that unsweetened choc or semisweeet? Just curious! I will post pictures! I can't promise it will look like I say, I always end up changing things around so much, but these are GREAT ideas and tips to get me going!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 9:57am
post #12 of 13

oh man i love your idea. i wish i was invited to that party LOL don't forget the pictures, i'd love to see that cake!

miss_sweetstory Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:38am
post #13 of 13

Allow the fondant to "sweat" until the condensation completely dries. This might take awhile...but with AC the humidity should be lower in your house, so it will go faster. That said, keep it out of the kitchen if you are cooking and adding any humidity to the air.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%