Fondant On Buttercream

Decorating By Emmerdoo Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 8:33pm by awolf24

Emmerdoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmerdoo Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 3

For years I have done strictly buttercream and I have excelled at it. If someone wants a cake without fondant but with the look of it, then call me. If someone wants a buttercream icing that melts in your mouth, then call me...in short, I have got the buttercream thing down.

This is where my dillema comes in: I am making a cake for DH birthday and the colors are turquoise and brown. I am going to do a white buttercream icing, but I am going to do turqoise and brown accents and stripes made from fondant. How do I go about attaching them to the buttercream. I know that if you are attaching fondant to fondant, then you need a little bit of vodka or extract. What do you do to attach the fondant to the buttercream? Will the buttercream help it attach, or do I need to make some royal icing to hold things on.

The cakes will be a 12" round, and 10" round and an 8" round stacked in a 3 tier construction and the accents will be turqoise and brown vertical stripes on the 12", round cutouts on the 10" round and vertical stripes again on the 8" round.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Happy Caking,
Em

2 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 3

if your buttercream is a non crusting type then just stick the pieces on and they should attach no problem. IF you are using a crusting bc then just use a little fresh bc to attach.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 3

I just brush a little piping gel on the back on the fondant decorations that I add to BC cakes - works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%