Fresh Fruit On Cake?

Decorating By turtle3264 Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 12:21am by turtle3264

turtle3264 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make a cake with fresh strawberries on top for my Mom's birthday. I don't know what type of cake this will taste the best with. Do I need to use a filling in the middle of two layers or will one layer be alright with no filling? What is the purpose of a glaze on the strawberries? I know that I have a lot of questions. I have never done a cake with fresh fruit before. Thanks

5 replies
gandelmom Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 6

strawberries are great with just about everything!
They're great with a whipped cream frosting, a white cake, chocolate cake,
angel food, choc or white BC.
As for the filling-it's up to you. I'd say people generally love strawberries as a filling. The glaze has a lot of sugar so it keeps the berries from spoiling too fast.

JawdroppingCakes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 6

Hi, I made a chocolate cake on Tuesday for my sisters birthday and I made it a devils food cake and then I bought that red jelly stuff you mix into the strawberries. Well, I put on the first layer some of that and then put some regular cool whip on top and then put the second layer on top and frosted the whole thing with cool whip and then cut several strawberries and mixed it in the red jelly stuff and put it on top. It was delicious. I think the purpose of the red jelly is to keep the strawberries from leaking or drying out but I'm not sure.

dixie_beloved Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:12am
post #4 of 6

I made a cake the other day for a friend who was giving a bacholerette (sp?) party. I used a strawberry cake mix and did a strawberry filling. Here is the link for that recipe.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/cake_filling/strawberry_filling.cfm

I used a chocolate buttercream icing also. I called it a "Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake". I didn't put any strawberries on top but i be the glaze would help keep them from spoiling quickly. Hope this helps.

HerBoudoir Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 6

For strawberries, I'd go with either vanilla, lemon, or chocolate flavors.

I would definately try to assemble the cake the day you plan on eating it - fresh fruit doesn't have a long shelf life. Make sure you store in the fridge.

The glaze helps preserve and sweeten fresh fruit, which as you know isn't always as sweet as we'd like, especially off season. I make a berry tart, and you know how sour fresh rasberries can be - but with a glaze to sweeten them, they're wonderful. Glaze can also "seal" the fruit and keep the juices from bleeding out into other elements of the cake.

The best glaze, IMHO, is a good-quality jam. I prefer the all-fruit styles. Warm up in the microwave, strain if you didn't buy the seedless style, and have at it.

turtle3264 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 12:21am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all of your help. You can tell that all I ever do is buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%