Help On Mmf, Please!

Decorating By bobhope Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 12:42pm by AJsGirl

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 6

hi!
when i discovered mmf, i was overjoyed because, 1. it's easy to make. 2. it taste really good, better than my previous fondant recipe. 3. most importantly, it holds up well to humidity...but then i found it difficult to cover round shape cakes. even if i roll it to desired cake size, i just couldn't completely smooth the sides. i end up having excess fondant/pleats on 2 sidesicon_cry.gif...i didn't have this problem w/ my previous fondant recipe but i'd hate going back to it. just recently, to remedy the problem, i had to make 2 slits/cuts (on opposite sides) on the fondant to help ease out the excess fondant. good thing, i could cover the cuts w/ flowers & bows...please help,...thanks in advance

bobbie

5 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know what recipe that you are using, but I found that adding about 2 tablespoons of light corn syrup to MMF helped a lot... I have gone to making Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant here on this site:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

But...so far as your problem smoothing the round cakes... I would start at the "front" of the cake and as you go around the cake you GENTLY pull the fondant out from the side of the cake with one hand while smoothing it down to the side of the cake with the other hand... I hope you can get a visual of what I'm trying to say... Just make sure you are going straight down with the fondant and not dragging it to the back.

Good luck,
Pat

bobhope Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:03am
post #3 of 6

thanks pat! i was hoping there'd be others who can pitch in their ideas/tips..but anyway, i will definitely try this morning adding the light corn syrup you mentioned and see how it goes..as to smoothing the sides, that's exactly how i do it, just like what you said..compared to my other recipe, this mmf doesn't have the same elasticity but it's saving me a lot from using a/c since it holds up well to high humidity, that's why i really wanna find out how i can remedy this problem. i've been working on this cake since thursday w/o a/c & mmf is still A-ok icon_biggrin.gif ...again, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts

bobbie

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:21am
post #4 of 6

When you can, you should get Sugarshack's DVD... It has helped me immensely... She goes step by step and shows you how to do it... It's hard to explain some of these things... Here is her web site address:

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/

The corn syrup does help with the elasticity...that's why I add it when I make MMF...

Good luck! icon_smile.gif
Pat

bobhope Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 6

thanks again pat! i am going to get her dvd soon, in fact i've already gotten in touched w/ her to inquire... icon_smile.gif

bobbie

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 6

I add glycerin to my MMF. It seems to help.

And I agree with the above posters about pulling it straight down, not around to the back of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%