Dummy Cake Advice?

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 3:26am by rozdei

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 6

Is there a tutorial or somewhere to go to read about doing a dummy cake?

I've decided that I'm going to drive a dummy cake, rather than a real cake to a wedding for my cousin. I don't do many cakes, it's just a hobby that I get to do a few times a year. I have no idea what I'm doing with a dummy. It's going to be covered in fondant. Do I have to worry about cracking when it's totally dry?

Any advice welcome!!

Thank you!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 6

What happened to the reply I posted on this earler today?? icon_sad.gif
Oh well, let's try again.
It is very easy to use styrofoam as your 'dummy'. Just buy the size(s) you need. You can order cake sizes from Dallas Foam(.com?).
There are two types of styro. I don't know if there is a name for them but one can easily be cut and compressed - the other not so. Usually what you get from Michael's Crafts and other such places is easily compressed. You want to round the top edge. Do that by putting the round on a table so the edge is touching it; press down as you roll along the top edge. When you are done it will be rounded. The harder &/or more you press/roll the more the edge will round. One you are ready, just spray/mist it w/water and apply the fondant.
If you roll the fondant just a bit thicker than 1/4" you should not have problems w/it cracking. They should last more than a month.....I had some for more than a yearicon_smile.gif
If you need any more info just posticon_smile.gif

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenOR

Is there a tutorial or somewhere to go to read about doing a dummy cake?

I've decided that I'm going to drive a dummy cake, rather than a real cake to a wedding for my cousin. I don't do many cakes, it's just a hobby that I get to do a few times a year. I have no idea what I'm doing with a dummy. It's going to be covered in fondant. Do I have to worry about cracking when it's totally dry?

Any advice welcome!!

Thank you!

DUMMIES are the easiest cakes to decorate. You can pile up as much decoration as you want. And you can take your time since the inside is not real cake. And they are very, very light. You can also use non edible glue to stick things on them since no one will eat it.. Have fun..

BROOKSIE007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BROOKSIE007 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:27am
post #4 of 6

Don't worry at all! This is really easy. I have never had one to crack. If it does just have a bag of icing ready with a tip 2 in. You can fill in any cracks and smooth it in with your finger or a small paint brush. If it is going to be tall and already put together during transportation make sure that it is secure and it wont fall over if you have to hit the brakes. Other that it will be a breeze! Good Luck!

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks! I hope it's as easy as you guys say!

It will be transported from Oregon to Yosemite. I'm hoping that I'll be able to put it in a box and then just stuff it with something?
I'm worried about it sliding around in our full van otherwise. Could I just dump a ton of foam/peanuts in there? Will the fondant be dry enough to not take fingerprinter or foam prints?

rozdei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozdei Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:26am
post #6 of 6

KarenOR,

I got this tip from my Wilton instructor and it works every time. Use the rubbery shelf liner you can buy at Wal-Mart or Target and put some between your cake board and whatever you put the cake in. Your cake board won't slide.

I even put this in the bottom of my Wilton cake carriers so the cake board does not slide.

HTH and hope it makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%