Cookie Cutter....help!

Baking By Caker_Girl Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 10:17pm by toleshed

Caker_Girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caker_Girl Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 24

Ok so here I find myself in a bind. I am needing a onesie cookie cutter to make cookies for a baby shower that is next weekend. I would ideally like to do them a few days early so they would be done. I checked my local cake store (Mary Carter) that I just knew would have the cutter...and surprise they don't. I just contacted Off The Beaten path & they said if I ordered it today, it would arrive either Thursday or Friday which is cutting it really close.

So here is my question: have ay of you made your own cookie cutters using metal ribbon (or any other material for that matter)? There are "how to" tutorials on the internet but I wanted to get some first hand advice. How hard and expensive is this to do? TIA!

23 replies
afolk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afolk Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 24

I just made some a couple of weeks ago, but I bought a kit to do it. It was a lot easier than I was expecting! I'm sure you'll have no trouble at all!

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 24

caker_girl
try karenscookies.net
She ships really fast

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 24

You could always print out a pic of what you need and cut it out and laminate it, and then use that to trace your pattern on the dough ! IF you dont need a ton of them, It does take longer but it does work ,in case its your only choice !

bellsnbows Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellsnbows Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 24

I had the same problem. I thought for sure Mary Carter's would have one, too. I made one for myself. It wasn't too hard, but I've made several. You are welcome to borrow it! You can see the shape it is by looking at my pics. Email me at [email protected] if you want to just borrow mine!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 24

I make my own all the time.......in fact, every cookie in my galleries aside from circle ones were made with homemade cutters!! I use aluminum flashing from Home Depot..I get a 6" wide by 10 ft. long roll of it for like 2 dollars! I use a rule to draw a line ( the width of the ruler is perfect for me) and then cut with an old pair of scissors...then I print out a photo the size I want the cutter and just bend it around the photo.....I have like 3 onesie cutters because initially my cookies were spreading and I wanted to cover them with fondant so I could write on them so I made a cutter for the cookie dough and a larger cutter for the fondant cutout LOL Now I don't make doubles because it was easier to tweak my cookie recipe so that it wouldn't spread : )
But it's simple and easy once you do one...it takes me less than 5 minutes to measure, cut, and form, and glue a cutter together now.

toleshed Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 24

khalstead
is the flashing not sharp when you cut it?

KHalstead Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 24

not really......I mean, I don't wear any gloves or anything and I've NEVER cut myself either while making the cutter or by using them.

sicookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sicookie Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:06am
post #9 of 24

Here are the directions I've bookmarked from this site. Sorry, I'm still learning how to create links in the message postings so you'll have to type the address in manually.

http://cakecentral.com/article73-How-To-Make-Your-Own-Cookie-Cutters.html

toleshed Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:23pm
post #10 of 24

Thanks you guys
I'm off to home depot. icon_smile.gif

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:42pm
post #11 of 24

When push comes to shove and I don't have time to locate or make a cutter, I just use a generic shape such as an oval or rectangle cookie cutter. Pipe the outline of desired pattern (a onesie for you) onto it, flooding only the desired design. If you can't freehand it, trace around a paper pattern (printed off the internet or other source) with food grade markers then pipe following traced lines.

sicookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sicookie Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 24

you could probably use a gingerbread man and cut off the arms and legs.

Caker_Girl Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:57pm
post #13 of 24

Thank you all for your input and reassurance. I went to Lowe's today and got the materials to make one (or what I think are the materials at least!). God only knows how this will go and how interesting the product will be. The result may be supposed to be an onesie but in the end, open to interpretation...ha ha. I'll keep y'all posted...wish me luck!!!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:15am
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caker_Girl

Ok so here I find myself in a bind. I am needing a onesie cookie cutter to make cookies for a baby shower that is next weekend.

Years ago I wanted to make a onesie, and that was before they made that cutter, haha........ I took a t-shirt cutter and just used a circle (back of a large tip) to cut out the leg openings and pulled the sleeves up slightly before baking.. it worked fine....
LL

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:02am
post #15 of 24

...and I used my onesie cutter to make a t-shirt! Just cut off the bottom icon_wink.gif
LL

CakesByLJ Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:55am
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ37

...and I used my onesie cutter to make a t-shirt! Just cut off the bottom icon_wink.gif

LOL..... GMTA

toleshed Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:52pm
post #17 of 24

So where does one buy non-toxic adhesive?

KHalstead Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:46pm
post #18 of 24

they have that at Home Depot too......I use JB quick Weld......it holds in like 4 minutes ( I clamp it) and cures in 24 hrs.!! I throw mine in the dishwasher and everything and never had any problems...some I've had for well over a year and used A LOT!!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 8:19am
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

... I throw mine in the dishwasher ...

THE DISHWASHER?!?! I gotta try these.

Caker_Girl Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 1:08pm
post #20 of 24

I got some other ahesive @ HD that said non-toxic and dishwasher safe specifically (not JB Weld) that dries in 5 min flat. Haven't used it yet...today is the day though...so I will let you know what I think. I hope I got the right material as far as the metal is concerned. When I asked for "metal ribbon" 2 people @ HD and 1 person @ Lowe's all looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Once I described it, they all suggested the same thing...it is called plumber's tape and is a package of 10 feet of rolled up metal...but there are little holes punched out going down the middle. Actually the more I think about this and what y'all say you use, this doesn't sound right. Can someone let me know if this is right and if not, what section of HD I can find this stuff...because it is looking like I will have to be on my own on this one since no one seemed remotely familiar with what I was requesting. Let me know what you think please! And Happy Easter to you all!

KHalstead Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 4:59pm
post #21 of 24

I personally called JB quick weld's offices and told them what I was doing with it and is it non-toxic around food too??? And they said yes, it's perfectlly fine to use for cookie cutters......they said you wouldn't want to injest it...but once it's dried and cured there is no safety concerns with it touching food!

toleshed Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:40pm
post #22 of 24

cakes byLJ - I keep seeing names being signed by a hand with a piping bag piping your name. Can you share where you get this animation? Thanks

CakesByLJ Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:35pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

cakes byLJ - I keep seeing names being signed by a hand with a piping bag piping your name. Can you share where you get this animation? Thanks

toleshed... I created it in a program called Paint Shop Pro.. It's a graphic illustrator/editor for photography, and creating your own graphics.. another addition, err, I mean hobby icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1184951547051

toleshed Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:17pm
post #24 of 24

Thanks so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%