I Need Help With Serving Sizes For Square Pans???

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 9:17pm by alicegop

CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 15

I need to make a cake that serves 15, I was going to use a 7" and 4" sqaure pans but I can't find serving amounts for those pan sizes? I have found them for 6" & 8" and it says 30-35, so am I safe to assume that a 7"&4" will feed 15?

14 replies
sambugjoebear Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 15

A 2-layered, 4" high 6" square cake will serve 18ppl if you use the wilton serving sizes.

8" square cake serves 32.

KoryAK Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 15

square servings are easy. What size slice are you using? For me, wedding is 1x2x4, which is 8 cubic inches.

Then figure the sizes of the cakes... if they are 4" tall then your 4" cake is 4x4x4 so 64 cubic inches of cake. 64 divided by 8 (one serving) is 8.

indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 15

Ok, Kory, I love numbers/data but you lost me with the cubic inches thing! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

But Kory is right ... square cakes ARE easy to figure. Know what size piece you are going to cut.

2 layer cake that is 4" tall. Standard piece size is 1x2x4. So for a 8" square cake, you would cut 4 columns by 8 rows = 32 pieces.

Here is a page from my website that shows how to cut a cake ... same method for round or square. I'm posting it mostly so you can see the size of the 1x2x4 pieces already on the plates ... pretty standard, not teeny tiny like a lot of people think they are.

hwnhulahands Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 15

All of this is great info. I'm glad I looked at this post.

alicegop Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 15

As a math teacher.... DON'T use cubic inches! That definately confuses things. Based on your height, what is your SQUARE units to make a serving?

Remember you are dividing up only the surface, so it doesn't make sense to include the height. You don't consider it when you are cutting.

1 x 2 if you want. If you think "hey my cake is really tall, I'd probably cut smaller slices" then use 1 x 1.5 or whatever you plan on cutting the pieces into.

Someone on here had their hubby make wooden slices, genius! It shows the customer what a 1x2x3 and a 1x1.5x4 inch slice really looks like... then you see how big that really is!!

Anyway. Multiply length and width: 1x2 = 2 square inches or 1x1.5 = 1.5 square inches.

If you have a 4 inch pan that is 4x4 = 16 square inches possible to cut up.

Now DIVIDE. Total surface area divided by area of a slice.

so 16 divided by 2 = 8 servings
and 16 divided by 1.5 is 10.6 servings (just say 10).

Or you can use my cake matrix that will tell you that automatically.

On the assumptions tab you can change the 1 x 2 assumption to whatever you want! The spreadsheet will recalculate for you!

KoryAK Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 15

I count the height in mine, cause a 4" tall cake is more mass and therefore feeds more people than a 2" or 3" cake. I advise on a different slice for each. Its a good way to make sure you are getting paid for it all instead of charging the same for 2 and 3" tall cakes cause customers don't know how to cut.

TheButterWench Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 15

Most people won't figure out to cut a cake slice in 1/2 when the layers make a very tall cake.

I have to tell them sometimes over and over again, lol

I've had people order smaller cakes for a large gathering and I double the bottom layer so they have enough.

( especially when they are the nice customers! not the crazy mean ones, those get exactly what they pay for! Hey, it's my cake and I give more if I want to, lol)

CakeMommyTX Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:42pm
post #9 of 15

Thank you for all your help. I looked at the pans and made imaginary cut lines with my finger and it will serve 15. I was just curious of the exact servings. I had one bad experience with serving amount and now I like to know exactly how many it "should" serve.

I made a 14" double layer round cake to serve 30,(like butterwench said the customer was "nice" so I decided to throw in a some extra servings), before the party even started I got a phone saying how she was going to have to buy cupcakes at Walmart because the cake I made her was never going to be able to serve 30 people !!! According to Wilton the cake serves 78, (and if anyone knows cake Wilton does) so how big was she going to cut the cake? I can't control the way people cut it, I can only suggest how they cut it, and if they don't want to listen to me its not my fault. I just like to be able to have some proof that the cake I made serves the proper amount.

indydebi Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 15

Holy cow!! If she got ONLY 30 pieces from it, she'd be cutting it 5 columsn by 6 rows (approx). 14" cake = approx 2.3" x 2.75 x 4.

I'm sorry, but a 4" tall piece of cake that is almost 2.5" x 3" is gluttony to me. That's 3 pieces of wedding cake!

And I saw 3 pieces of wedding cakes slices stacked up just today! I did some demonstrations/presentations at my daughter's home ec class today. In the last class, we cut the 8" round cake into the standard 24 pieces. We had pieces left over and the teacher stacked 3 pieces on top of each other to wrap in saran and take home with her. That's a freakin' BRICK size piece of cake!

Your client is nuts!!

Jopalis Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 8:21pm
post #11 of 15

I like to use Earlene's Cakes website for information like serving sizes, etc. I don't use "wedding cake size".

CakeMommyTX Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 15
Originally Posted by indydebi

Your client is nuts!!

I Know!!!
It was my first and so far (thankfully) only complaint, and I think I cried , and then got mad because I had done nothing wrong. I sent her the link to the Wilton page with the serving chart on it so she did'nt think I was making it up, and she still wanted me to give her 10$ for the cupcakes she bought at Walmart???

Oh well, live and learn.

indydebi Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 8:43pm
post #13 of 15

"Hello, KFC? I demand a refund!! The 16 pc bucket, that you said would serve 8 people, is only TWO PIECES EACH! Well, WE eat SIX pieces each, so since you didn't provide enough chicken for 8 people, like I wanted, then I expect you to give me a refund to cover the cost of the extra food I had to buy!"

Yeah.....THAT'LL work! icon_confused.gif

Jopalis Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 9:00pm
post #14 of 15

Earlene uses bigger pieces than Wilton. Still her chart says a double 14 inch round should feed 65!

alicegop Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 9:17pm
post #15 of 15

indydebi I busted a seam laughing.

That is a perfect analogy.

I hope you did not give that lady money for cupcakes. And that you blacklist this lady from getting any more of your cake. Life is too short to deal with cranky people. How can this lady look at that enormous cake and not figure out how to cut it into 30 generously sliced pieces. I could cut an 8 in cake into 30 pieces. They would be small, but you adult the slice size depending on how many people you have.

Quote by @%username% on %date%