Tiramisu Cake Question

Decorating By rachel0918 Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 3:06am by salokin

rachel0918 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel0918 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 9

I'm thinking of combing my tiramisu recipe into a cake this easter. Please tell me if you think this will work....

Make a white cake and slice into three layers.
Poke holes throughout the bottom layer and pour 1/4 cup strong coffee over the center.
Cover with marscapone/cream filling and cocoa powder
Top with middle layer and repeat
Top with final layer and ice with whipped cream and decorate.

Anyone ever tried doing something like this?. I'm concerned it will come out soggy

8 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 9

That sounds good, I can't answer your questions, but I would also like to know if it will work.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 9

First of all that sounds DELICIOUS!!! As for becoming too soggy maybe you could just brush some coffee on the layers instead of poking holes and pouring it on. You would get the flavor without so much liquid. Good luck!

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 9

I am not sure about being soggy......but here is a recipe for a filling that was posted by Petit Four that I am going to try:

Coffee-Rum Syrup:
1/2 cup water
2 Heaping T ground coffee

Brew coffee in small coffee maker. While hot, stir in 2 T sugar. Stir until dissolved. Blend in 2 T rum.

For wedding and fondant cakes: just add coffee-rum syrup as liquid to your favorite buttercream recipe. Brush cake with syrup before filling.

Cream-based Tiramisu Filling:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 T sugar
1/8 tsp salt
3 T coffee-rum syrup (above)
2 T heavy cream

Beat on medium-high until creamy, without lumps.

In a separate bowl, whip 3/4 cup heavy cream and 3 T powdered sugar until mixture forms stiff peaks. (Chill bowl to help process).

Fold whipped cream gently into cream-cheese mixture. Chill if needed to set up.

For cakes: brush torted cake with remaining coffee-rum syrup. Fill with cream filling. Makes 3 cups. This is a soft, creamy filling that needs to be kept refrigerated

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 9

I have done this with sucess. The way I do is to slice cake into 3 layers (like you do) and then I brush espresso over the first layer and cover with marscapone layer and top with the second layer and repeat process.
I do this all in a spring form pan and then I chill over night and the day I serve I take it out of springform and ice it with sweetened mocha whipped cream,

HTH, my family loves it!

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 9

Hi! I posted Tiramisu recipe in the recipe section. It can be used to bundt cakes (I torte them to 3 layers, and fill as you decribed), or done as single-serve cupcakes. My only thought is to add some sugar to the strong coffee (and rum or amaretto, if you like it). I don't suggest using the extracts, though.

The "correct" thing is to use marscapone cheese. In that case, decrease the sugar to 1 T.

The version above omits 2 oz. grated dark chocolate (divide, and sprinkle over each layer). You can of course omit this if you like. I also pipe a border of dark chocolate butter-cream on the top and bottom, or with the cupcakes, make dark chocolate leaves as garnish.

The on-line recipe is for cupcakes, but I actually usually make it in 3 layer bundt cakes. It is moist, but not soggy, and because we bake fresh cakes, rather than used purchased ladyfingers, people think (or at least I hear!?!) it is even more special than tradtional tiramisu.

Enjoy. I'll make one this weekend too.

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 9

BUMP

rachel0918 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel0918 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you! I'll let you know how it turns out!

salokin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salokin Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:06am
post #9 of 9

I would make a coffee flavored cake with a tiramisu cream filling/icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%