How Do I Make This Textured Look

Decorating By CSMoore Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 2:47pm by lardbutt

CSMoore Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Everyone
I have to make this cake next month. It looks simple but I did a practice run on a dumby cake and it was a lost cause. It looked horrible. I have no idea what i did wrong or that this could be so difficult. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much. Can anybody help???? How do I do this look and what do I use?

Thanks
csmoore
LL

11 replies
Shelly4481 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 12

I haven't done this before, so maybe someone will reply that has. To me it looks like the frosting would have to be really think then take a small spatula or a spoon and go over it to make the swirls. Sorry I can't help much. Pretty cake!

peacockplace Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 12

A small spoon works great!

TooMuchCake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 12

Use a small shallow spoon and don't overthink it! icon_smile.gif Heat the spoon in some warm water if you need to, just remember to wipe the water off the spoon with a clean towel.

Deanna

CSMoore Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks everyone....more questions though....so do I ice it like normal and add a thinned out batch of BC using the spoon or do i ice like normal and then do the look with the spoon....does it matter?

mommicakes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 12

I am SO glad you asked this question. Funny, I have to do a cake with this same type of swirly in May. I have to practice with a small spoon now.

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

peacockplace Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 12

I frost like usual then use the spoon. My frosting is not super thick. If yours is I would thin it down some. I use one of the plastic baby spoons. It works great!

CSMoore Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 12

Okay, I'll give that a try this weekend...i have about a 100 baby spoons....thanks everybody

Melan Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 12

I did a cake with a texture, it was very hard to get just right. My cake was more textured that that(it's in my photos) but I found that making swirls and stuff were a lot harder than expected. Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

lardbutt Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:23am
post #10 of 12

I have never attempted this, but wouldn't it work better to let the icing crust just a little before pressing the spoon marks on?

peacockplace Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:28pm
post #11 of 12

In my experience, that would turn out terribly! You have to kind of swirl, not just make a spoon impression. If the icing starts crusting you don't get smooth marks, the edges of each mark are jagged. Hope that makes sense.

lardbutt Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

In my experience, that would turn out terribly! You have to kind of swirl, not just make a spoon impression. If the icing starts crusting you don't get smooth marks, the edges of each mark are jagged. Hope that makes sense.

Yes, that does make sense. I had never attemped anything like this. Now I know not TRY it after the icing has crusted. icon_lol.gif

I believe I was thinking about a technique I saw Martha Stewart do on a cake using a knife to make the impressions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%