Question About Coloring Fondant....

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 3:25pm by aprilcake

aprilcake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone! I am making the final cake for my final wilton cake course class this Monday and for those of you who don't know what it looks like, its usually a two tiered white fondant cake with 38 fondant roses on it. I however want to do a brown/chocolate colored fondant to go with my light/dark pink roses because I love that color combo...but I don't necessarily have the extra money this weekend to buy chocolate fondant or brown colored fondant...I already have it possible to dye it a medium/dark chocolate brown color with my brown dye? if so...would I use just brown to get the color and how much would I probably need to use? any tips would be great...thanks so much! I will post the cake once its done to show you all and thank you for all your help! CC has helped me so much in these past six months I have been cake decorating...i have such a passion for it now!

3 replies
minorfan Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 4

For dark colors I usually color it with a base, for brown I start with a tan and add that till mixes along with a little cornstarch to stop stickyness then let sit an hour then add brown and mix till you get close to the shade you want. Add more powdered sugar/corn starch if it gets to sticky. Then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let sit a few hours (it darkens) then knead well before using.

Good luck, I loved my classes and plan on taking 2-3 again now that I have a better clue of what is actually going on.

sarahnichole975 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 4

I have used melted chocolate in mine to get a nice brown. Just knead it it a bit at a time with some powdered sugar. I also use ck super brown. I think you can get a more intense color with it.

aprilcake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 4

silly you mind me asking what ck is? i just have wilton coloring in brown...where would I buy this special dark brown coloring...can it be bought in a store because I dont have enough time to buy it online....hhmmm????

Quote by @%username% on %date%