How Do I Make A Mickey Mouse Cake?

Decorating By jquinlin Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 7:35am by dixie_beloved

jquinlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jquinlin Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 6

Looking to make a simple Mickey Mouse face cake for my 2 year old son birthday. I would love to use the pan, but they have been discountined. Anyone have an suggestions for an experienced cake maker?

5 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 6

If you're familiar with the Frozen Buttercream Transfer technique, that would be a good way to go. Super easy too, as Mickey doesn't have a lot of detail to him.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 6

i made mind using a 9" round for the head and 6" rounds for the ears when i cut a little to make them sit flush w/his head... if i do him again, i'll make the icing smoother (b/c I've learned stuff like that from CC).
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1191694

jquinlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jquinlin Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 6

So If i make it by using the rounds, how did you figure out how to ice the face just right?

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 6

i just printed out a picture of mickey and just kind of freehand, freeformed it... although, you could probably find a template or pattern through google and just enlarge it to the size you need and use the pin prick transfer method (where you lay the pattern on your crusted bc and using a toothpick prick the pattern into the bc.

and one thing i did to get the dark black for his face & ears... i used a chocolate canned frosting (i KNOW... horror, horror) added a little powdered sugar to it to "dry" it and help it crust and added a little black food coloring gel. other than it not being very smooth (my error, not the frosting) it worked great, tasted FAB and my son (who's b-day it was for) LOVED it!

dixie_beloved Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dixie_beloved Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 7:35am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

jquinlin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:18 am Post subject: How do I make a Mickey Mouse cake?
Looking to make a simple Mickey Mouse face cake for my 2 year old son birthday. I would love to use the pan, but they have been discountined. Anyone have an suggestions for an experienced cake maker?

Have you tried looking on E-Bay for the cake pan? I am also having to do a Mickey Mouse cake for a friends little boy. I am watching several of hte pans on Ebay. They seem to be a hot seller. I also agree with using the 9" and then a 6" for the ears. You could also do an image transfer using piping gel. It is covered in Course 1 of the Wilton Course. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%