Fresh Strawberries With Glaze As Filling...anybody?

Decorating By MayWest Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 1:14am by biancas_mommy

MayWest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MayWest Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 12

I'd like to make a white cake with fresh strawberries and strawberry glaze as filling. The glaze I am talking about you can buy at the grocery store, it is red and you can mix with fresh strawberries...Kinda looks like the strawberry shortcake strawberry and glaze mix. Has anybody used this as a cake filling (with fresh strawberries)? I would like to try something different rather than using the strawberry preserves as a filling.

Thanks for your help!!

11 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 12

I have never used it, but I don't see why you couldn't. Let us know how it works out.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 12

I've used it for years and years. washed and sliced fresh strawberries in glaze in between the layers, also on top of the cakes with whole strawberries in glaze.

mogzilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mogzilla Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 12

I haven't used that specifically, but I know what you're takling about. I'm not sure if it would work. Strawberries bleed and I have toppped cakes with fresh sliced strawberries and a glaze of melted raspberry jam before only to have the berries and melted jam weep all over the cake. It tastes great, but looks really strange.

I suppose if you made a really good dam around the outside of the layer, it might prevent the filling from bleeding out to the frosting.

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:16am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakequeen50

I've used it for years and years. washed and sliced fresh strawberries in glaze in between the layers, also on top of the cakes with whole strawberries in glaze.

I've also used it for years (maybe not for 'and years' icon_razz.gif ... but years, going on 20), and never had any trouble. I make sure to rinse any fruit / slices in cold water & pat dry in towel before I use it, this helps prevent any weeping.
I use it for fruit tart filling too, the other fruit glazes available are also tasty.

DecoratingDingbat Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:17am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakequeen50

I've also used it for years (maybe not for 'and years' icon_razz.gif ... but years, going on 20), and never had any trouble. I make sure to rinse any fruit / slices in cold water & pat dry in towel before I use it, this helps prevent any weeping.
I use it for fruit tart filling too, the other fruit glazes available are also tasty.

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:27am
post #7 of 12

I am planning on making a lemony(I'll add some Creme Bouguet to a white cake) for Easter, and I'd like to use a strawberry filling in it. I purchased a jar of Polaner's Strawberry jam as well as some fresh strawberries. Can I mix some sliced fresh strawberries in with the melted jam? The cake will be decorated with a cream cheese merengue buttercream that I have been dying to try! Thanks for your input!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:35am
post #8 of 12

If it is Marie's brand strawberry filling in the produce dept. I have used it for years and it is delicious. I add just enough to glaze the fruit, not too much so it doesn't want to ooze out the sides. And believe it or not it is also delicious used as a filling for a chocolate cake that is iced in chocolate icing.

DecoratingDingbat Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:58am
post #9 of 12

I think I just gained 5 pounds reading this! icon_lol.gif I think it sounds delicious! The only time I had trouble with 'seeping' is when I over filled, so I agree you have to be carefull with that. I've never had any trouble with the glazed toppings 'weeping' down the sides - so I can't say too much on that topic - count myself lucky I guess.

edith123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith123 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:16am
post #10 of 12

I hav also made this before and it's delicious! thumbs_up.gif

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:28am
post #11 of 12

I had never thought of doing this but I think Im gonna try it! I always use Fresh Strawberries with fresh stabilized whipped cream and have done that for years but never thought to change it up with that red stuff....gonna try it! Thanks for the thread!!

biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:14am
post #12 of 12

would this cake need to be refrigerated because of the fruit?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%