Fondant Bees On Buttercream Icing Or Ganache.. Advice Pls!

Decorating By serenelui Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 2:14pm by serenelui

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:53am
post #1 of 9

Hi all... really need your advice.. I've got a friend who's collecting her cupcakes one day before her daughter's birthday party.. her cupcakes are topped with ganache or buttercream icing and fondant bees are supposed to be added right on top of the frosting as a decorating accent. I've heard that fondant will actually melt when in touch with buttercream icing.. is this true?? What about ganache? Will fondant also melt when in contact with ganache when these accents are placed one full day ahead of the party?? Help!!

8 replies
serenelui Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:55am
post #2 of 9

Oh in addition, she's placing her cupcakes in the fridge for storage prior to the party.. will this have any effect on the fondant and frosting??

serenelui Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:44am
post #3 of 9

Anyone???

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:05am
post #4 of 9

I have never worked with chocolate ganache.

But I have worked with fondant.

Fondant doesn't always do well in the fridge. When I add fondant accents to my cupcakes, I don't refrigerate them.

When I have added fondant accents (flowers) they have usually been dry for a few days first.

And they last very well if the cupcakes are left uncovered.

If they are covered for a long time, the moisture has caused the fondant to "melt" - get soft and not hold the form.

But covering them for a short time has been no problem.

I add the fondant to the buttercream as late as a possible can.

Hope that helps!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:11am
post #5 of 9

I have used fondant/modelling paste accents on ganache. But I put them in the morning on the day of the party. So it was on ganache for a day.

But I don't know about placing the accents on bc. I too like to know this, cause I'm going to do a cake for Easter, accents are in modelling paste and its going to be covered in BC.

serenelui Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 9

thanks bashini and penny... so i guess for ganache i cant add the fondant accents too early.. as for buttercream... could i just clarify.. how early can i put the fondant accents on the buttercream? Plus if i leave the cupcakes in the fridge until just before they are consumed, will the fondant still melt since there's not too much condensation to cause the melting effect? :p

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 9

To be in the safe side, I think better not put them in the fridge. I never put my cakes in the fridge, either they covered in fondant or bc.

So I really don't know. Sorry I wasn't much help at all.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 9

You can put fondant on buttercream. I do it all the time. However, fondant does not do well when refrigerated. The condensation makes them melt. I would suggest not to put the cupcakes in the frig at all. Or if she does, wait until they come to room temp before adding the bees.

serenelui Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 9

hi all... thanks for the advice... unfortunately i have to put the iced cupcakes in the fridge as i live in a really hot and humid country.. so leaving out the cakes will definitely cause the buttercream to turn rancid... guess i have no alternative except to ask my friend to put on the accents herself. thanks for the advice though!! it's been a great help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%