What To Do When Cake Is Smaller Than Board?

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 9:14pm by dandelion56602

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:22am
post #1 of 16

I've always wondered if my cakes are the only ones that are smaller than the cake boards. I usually put it on a larger board anyway, but I'm wondering about stacking. how do you go about staking a cake when the cake is smaller than the board? They aren't terribly off--maybe 1/4" or so, but I'm just wondering.

I'm doing an Elmo cake & I know I'll have to be cutting down some of the boards, but just for future reference.

Thanks

15 replies
JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:48am
post #2 of 16

Either buy a small board or trim it down. If it's not to bad then just pipe a boarder over it and cover it up.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:48am
post #3 of 16

If a border will be covering it, I leave it alone. If there won't be a border, I trim.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:49am
post #4 of 16

If my cake is smaller than my board I always trim my board so that no board is showing under my cake.

dandelion56602 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks. Is there a "best" way to trim (or easy I should say)

C-Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
C-Lady Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 16

Just hold the cake and board in one hand and with a pair of scissors, cut all the way around close to the cake.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 16

If you are only looking at 1/4 inch more board than cake, I would just ice it and add a border. Even the smallest border should be fine. If you are still not sure, just trim it before you ice. I find it easier to ice it all the way out to the edge of the board (when the gap is small), using the board as a guide. To me that would be easier than trimming. If you trim it before putting the icing on, you would have the icing "hanging over" with nothing under it. Not that that would be unworkable, but it just seems more difficult....for me anyway...

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 16

I place it on a cutting board and use an exacto knife.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 16

My boards are always just a little larger than the cake but by the time I ice it there is no board left to show.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 16

I do it the same way C-Lady does. That seems easiest aaaaaaaaaaaaand I don't mess up the bottom edge.

C-Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
C-Lady Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 16

Since I've been doing cakes, I've always had the same problem with the cakeboard being larger, so I would cut them with a scissor, thinking there must be something wrong with this; real professional don't do this. But, when I was taking a class with Toba Garrett, I found out that this is what she does too. icon_smile.gif

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:44pm
post #12 of 16

Make an outline of the cake on the board by tracing the pan onto the board and cut it.......

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:45pm
post #13 of 16

I'm with jammjenks...I use the board as my guide to how far out my icing should go...If I didn't have that board I would put on too much icing. Plus, it helps to keep your spatula straight when you are smoothing your bc! icon_biggrin.gif

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:53pm
post #14 of 16

I trim it with scissors before I put the cake on it.

Bec

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:56pm
post #15 of 16

I do it the same way as jammjenks and step0nmi. Use the board as your guide for icing and smoothing the cake. Works great for me.

dandelion56602 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:14pm
post #16 of 16

Why didn't I ever think to use the board as my guide to ice the cake? Thanks everybody!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%