Calling All Non-Crusting Bc Users -- Advantages And Not?

Decorating By tobycat Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 3:33pm by cakedout

tobycat Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:10am
post #1 of 5

So, I use a crusting bc all the time. I'm hearing a lot about the perks of non-crusting, but I just don't know.

What recipe do you use? Anyone willing to link me to a cake of theirs that shows a non-crusting bc?

What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks!

S.

4 replies
cakequeen50 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:31am
post #2 of 5

I've used non-crusting buttercream for 32 years. In all the bakeries I worked at, no one ever made a crusting buttercream...in fact I never heard of it until 3 years ago!

As far as advantages and dis-advantages. I don't know. It is just what I know and was taught. One thing I noticed, you can ice a cake smoothly and be done with it. no waiting around and "handling it twice". Ice it and decorate it. It's done.....No time wasted going back and smoothing it with a paper towel.

All the cakes in My Photos are non-crusting buttercream as well as all pf them on my website.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:26am
post #3 of 5

cakequeen what would a noncrusting BC recipe look like? lesser powdered sugar?

cakequeen50 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 5

MUCH less pwdered sugar!

cakedout Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 5

I've also used a soft buttercream for 25years.

The disadvantages were that I had to do all my drawings by hand or use a KopyKake machine and I couldn't use airbrush stencils, since any kind of pattern/stencil put on the cake would stick to the icing.

My icing was also too soft for certain large, heavy side decorations- mostly those over-kill styles from "the old days". icon_lol.gif

Having a soft icing can make delivery a bit tricky too- cakes don't "lock" into place like with fondant or a crusting buttercream. They can shift more easily or your fingers can do more damage! icon_surprised.gif I usually refrigerated my cakes before delivery so they were more solid during transport.

Nonetheless, my customers preferred the not-too-sweet icing over the really sweet stuff, so I did quite well within my limitations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%