What Size Cakes To Feed 150 People?

Decorating By sugarplumdiva Updated 23 Dec 2014 , 9:04am by cakebaby2

sugarplumdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumdiva Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:28am
post #1 of 6

I have a cake order for April. My first (paying) wedding cake! icon_lol.gif The order is for a three tier round shaped cake. I need to which round sizes do I need to use in order to feed 150 ppl. HELP! Taking all comments. icon_razz.gif

5 replies
aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:53am
post #2 of 6

It depends on the depth of your pans and how large you will cut the pieces:

Here are some guides:

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/wedding_2inch.cfm

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/wedding_3inch.cfm

Remember if they are inviting 150 people -- not all will eat cake, I often see figures mentioned here of making enough cake for 70-75% of the people. Some are dieting, some don't want sweets, some leave early, some would rather drink beer.

Anyway, if you make the top tier as a gift for the couple to take home, figure the rest of your cake sizes to feed the attendees.

A 14" could feed 78 pus a 12" could feed 56 that would be 132 slices. If the cake sizes you are making won't feed as many. Make another tier and have it in the kitchen for additional slices.

Another option is to reduce the sizes of the wedding tiers and make a groom's cake to have additional slices.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm not an expert but have made about a dozen wedding cakes.

Good Luck, Dee in AZ

sugarplumdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumdiva Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 6

thanks alot. aztomcat. I am a little nervous since this is my first wedding cake. The charts were helpful . :0)

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:48am
post #4 of 6

Don't worry, Just think of it as 3 separate cakes. Then stack them and add the border where they meet.

You can actually practice ahead of time with two smaller cakes to try to stack and practice your trims, and design.

Once its' done eat it. Yum

dee403 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee403 Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 4:02am
post #5 of 6

AWhat would you charge for a wedding cake to feed 150 people. This will be my first ever wedding cake and I would hate to over or under charge

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 23 Dec 2014 , 9:04am
post #6 of 6

Did you look at the charts above?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%