Attn: Using Keywords For Your Photos

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 5:40am by step0nmi

step0nmi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:24am
post #1 of 15

so, this was brought up by a gallery supporter member and I guess I had never realized it before. (sorry I don't remember the name so if it's you you can take credit icon_biggrin.gif)

I am not sure if everyone knows what the "keyword" feature is for under your photos??? Mainly, it is so that you can put keywords about your cake that will make it easier for a CC member to search and find your photo using a keyword. For instance: If I have a cake where I used fondant for the whole thing but it had fish, seaweed, water, and bubbles on it for a 1 year old bday...I could put some keywords in like this: fish seaweed water bubbles 1 year. JUST LIKE THAT! thumbs_up.gif This makes it sooo easy for everyone to use the search feature and put in a word like: fish...and then your cake with the keyword FISH is going to come up and be most likely looked at! Now, if you have such a cute cake with a little baby in it and some stars like for a baby shower cake and you used MMF and you put your keyword JUST as: MMF...not many people are going to be putting that term into the keyword section and then your cake might not get looked as as often!

So, I just wanted to bring this up because I thought it was very interesting...THANK YOU to whoever brought this up!

Stephanie

14 replies
bearcreek350 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:23am
post #2 of 15

I'm glad you mentioned this feature. I have been adding pics on here and just noticed the "Key word" thing the last few photos I added. icon_eek.gif I make sure to add them now.

Honeydukes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:33am
post #3 of 15

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! thumbs_up.gif

I hate it when I find a really great picture and there are no keywords to help anyone find it. It seems like such a waste. Because you know eventually someone will ask " Have you seen..." and we'll never find it again!

Is there a way for people to go back and add keywords? I really hope so. I'd could spend weeks PMing people begging them to add keywords!!! icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 15

i am not sure if you can just go back and add keywords! I know that you can edit the photos which still gives you the option to write a description! But, then if you go back to add those in you have to get your photo again and then that might be hard to get the same exact picture in there...not everyone saves everything digitally.

Glad I could bring this up and it is some use to someone! icon_biggrin.gif

WendyB Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 15

If you click on "edit photo" it will let you edit the key words. I just tried it.

step0nmi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyB

If you click on "edit photo" it will let you edit the key words. I just tried it.

GREAT!!! THAT IS AWESEOME! thumbs_up.gif

jammjenks Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 15

I have noticed something else interesting about keywords. Some people put keywords that have nothing to do with their cake at all. I was searching for one the other day and my keyword brought up cakes that were totally unrelated. I clicked on one just to see and...there it was...my same search as a keyword. That was done just to get someone to look at it...and I guess it worked, because I looked at it. Just a peeve of mine I guess.

step0nmi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I have noticed something else interesting about keywords. Some people put keywords that have nothing to do with their cake at all. I was searching for one the other day and my keyword brought up cakes that were totally unrelated. I clicked on one just to see and...there it was...my same search as a keyword. That was done just to get someone to look at it...and I guess it worked, because I looked at it. Just a peeve of mine I guess.

no, you are totally right! i have seen that too! The purpose of the keywords is NOT to get so many # of people to look at it! But, to make it easy to find when you ARE wanting to look at a cake you are looking for! Putting in another word that doesn't belong to the cake is just deceiving!

step0nmi Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:58am
post #9 of 15

I really hope that people might pass the word on about this keyword issue...I think it's really important that everyone knows about this!

alanahodgson Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:38am
post #10 of 15
Quote:

I've noticed this, too. I think its sort of like a wildcard function in the way it searches. If lets say for example you type "car" you'll get words that contain "car" in them returned. So you might get carpet or cargo (if anyone had actually added such words as key words-not that there are actually any carpet cakes out there!!) Does that make sense?

step0nmi Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

Quote:

I've noticed this, too. I think its sort of like a wildcard function in the way it searches. If lets say for example you type "car" you'll get words that contain "car" in them returned. So you might get carpet or cargo (if anyone had actually added such words as key words-not that there are actually any carpet cakes out there!!) Does that make sense?

YES! It makes sense! I never realized that either! wow! See there are PLENTY of reason's to use the correct keywords!

step0nmi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:38am
post #12 of 15

ok...so anyone else want to chime in about the keywords??? icon_rolleyes.gif

ceshell Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:35am
post #13 of 15

Yes, I'll chime in (aka bump the thread LOL). I really wish there was a brief explanation about this on the upload-your-pic page, so that people understood what keywords were for and why they should use them. If you haven't come across the topic, that random fill-in box can appear to be unimportant.

I think the most important thing to remember is: the search engine only searches on the cake NAME and KEYWORDS...it does NOT do a search for words written in your description. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people do not write a few keywords because they assume that the search will capture the words from their cake's description.

I definitely agree that the keyword issue is often just as simple as people not realizing useful those things are, and how hard (or often: impossible) it can be to find a cake in the galleries. The worst cakes to find are ones where the name of the cake is....say..."John's 40th Birthday" but no keywords, and maybe the cake was some sort of fantastic themed design but it got buried in the birthday cakes gallery. I do always try keyword searches even on obvious cakes, like "golf"...because sometimes they'll end up in the birthday or groom's cake gallery rather than the sports/golf gallery.

Soo...you are saying you CAN edit your keywords now? You don't lose your comments, do you? I thought I remembered someone once saying if they edited their photo or keywords, the comments got lost. That may have been a bug that got fixed by now (or I may just be misremembering)

step0nmi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:19am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

I think the most important thing to remember is: the search engine only searches on the cake NAME and KEYWORDS...it does NOT do a search for words written in your description. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people do not write a few keywords because they assume that the search will capture the words from their cake's description.

I just want to make sure that everyone sees this point! Thank you ceshell! icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:40am
post #15 of 15

yes, you can edit everything and you don't loose the photo...I am not sure about the comments though icon_confused.gif I don't think so because I did it the other day! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%