Bridal Expo Cake Dummy Help

Decorating By gracecakes Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 2:29am by sweetneice

gracecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracecakes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:33am
post #1 of 4

Hi, I am about to embark on my first bridal show. I don't even have one dummy cake decorated. I am planning on making 3 not too difficult. I have one month to decorate and get all my paperwork together. I wanted to know how to apply fondant to the cake dummy. Do i have to use buttercream all over or just a couple of dabs. I heard it would stick with just crisco? Um also how many different flavors of cake would you make for samples. I was thinking my top 3. Thats the only questions for now. TIA

3 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:39am
post #2 of 4

just mist the dummies with water and apply fondant. It will stick just fine that way. You don't have to make samples but if you do even one flavor makes brides happy. Just go with your gut and what your time allows..

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:31am
post #3 of 4

I agree - just use water lightly sprayed on the styro for the fondant to stick.
As for how many flavors - I agree w/you. Your top ones would be great. You can bake 1/2 sheets now and keep in fzr well wrapped until needed.
Don't use filling. Just squirt a nice dab of icing on top of a cube approx. 1" sq in a portion cup w/lid.
You can get these done a day or two ahead & refrig until needed.

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:29am
post #4 of 4

I agree as well with using your top 3 flavors. I hope you have wonderful results from it! Happy Baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%