What Brand To Use Other Than Crisco???

Decorating By ranbel Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 10:48pm by steplite

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 10

The 0 trans fat Crisco really S_ _ _ _..... icon_sad.gif

I shop at both Wal Mart and Winn Dixie... any suggestions as to the best brand to use as an alternate to Crisco icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your help

9 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:07am
post #2 of 10

I use the WalMart brand with 3% trans fat in it and it works great!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:37am
post #3 of 10

I have used the "Great Value" brand that I bought at Walmart, and talk about S_ _ _ _! It was so greasy, it left a coating of grease/icing on my KA mixing bowl about 1/8 inch thick that I thought I'd never get out!

The icing was a dirty beigey color and so awful I had to throw it away, no way I'd put it on a cake!]

Sorry, MnSnow, this is my experience, not intended to dispute yours, maybe this is a different brand.

bearcreek350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bearcreek350 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:27am
post #4 of 10

We have Fareway here in Iowa and their store brand shortening still has the trans fat in it. I actually get a hi-ration shortening from where I work. When they order their food supplies, I have them order shortening for me and I don't have to pay the shipping. It is hi-ration, but kind of a no name brand thing and it works great. Do you know anyone or are you friendly with anyone at a resteraunt or place where they serve food? Maybe you could get them to see if their supplier has a hi-ratio shortening and would let you put it on their order. I am from a small town, so everyone here knows everyone else!! icon_biggrin.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:02am
post #5 of 10

The GV brand I bought still had the 3% transfat in it too.

My DIL brought me some new Crisco and I made my icing with that and it was fine, but I always add fudge base to my icing and I think that makes the difference.

The fudge base is from my cake supply store, and I'm sure you can get it online but I don't know for sure where.

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:52am
post #6 of 10

Thanks eveyone.

I may have to try a couple diff brands before next weekend and see what I get. I have see the hi-ratio before, so I'll look for it.

If all else fails, I guess I'll have to use the Crisco. It just looked to shinny and the texture appeared more greasy instead of creamy to me. Maybe a little more sugar might fix that.

Again, thanks

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 10

I use the Piggly Wiggly Brand with great success. It still has trans fat in it.

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 10

I still continue to use the crisco......in addition to using more sugar, try less liquid.....it seems to help and my BC crusts very well!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 10

When I first read all of the complaints about the new Crisco, I was totally confused because I hadn't noticed ANY difference during the switch. Here's my recipe that I've used for 25 years. When I posted it, a number of CC'ers tried it with great success. It crusts very well.

Like I said, I never knew there was an issue with new Crisco until I read about it.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-579244-0.html

Not to sound like a commercial, but "I tried a cheaper shortening once" and my roses fell off of the cake. I've NEVER used anything but Crisco since.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 10

I was just about ready to give up on Crisco until I tried Gourmrtcakes Crusting buttercream Icing here on CC. It was great. It's not as white(Because of the butter) but It's still good. I made it the second time using two cups of Crisco and one cup butter. It was a little whiter and still good. This is my new recipe for good. Thanks Gourmetcakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%