What Brand To Use Other Than Crisco???

Decorating By ranbel Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 10:48pm by steplite

ranbel Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 10

The 0 trans fat Crisco really S_ _ _ _..... icon_sad.gif

I shop at both Wal Mart and Winn Dixie... any suggestions as to the best brand to use as an alternate to Crisco icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your help

9 replies
MnSnow Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:07am
post #2 of 10

I use the WalMart brand with 3% trans fat in it and it works great!

veejaytx Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:37am
post #3 of 10

I have used the "Great Value" brand that I bought at Walmart, and talk about S_ _ _ _! It was so greasy, it left a coating of grease/icing on my KA mixing bowl about 1/8 inch thick that I thought I'd never get out!

The icing was a dirty beigey color and so awful I had to throw it away, no way I'd put it on a cake!]

Sorry, MnSnow, this is my experience, not intended to dispute yours, maybe this is a different brand.

bearcreek350 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:27am
post #4 of 10

We have Fareway here in Iowa and their store brand shortening still has the trans fat in it. I actually get a hi-ration shortening from where I work. When they order their food supplies, I have them order shortening for me and I don't have to pay the shipping. It is hi-ration, but kind of a no name brand thing and it works great. Do you know anyone or are you friendly with anyone at a resteraunt or place where they serve food? Maybe you could get them to see if their supplier has a hi-ratio shortening and would let you put it on their order. I am from a small town, so everyone here knows everyone else!! icon_biggrin.gif

veejaytx Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:02am
post #5 of 10

The GV brand I bought still had the 3% transfat in it too.

My DIL brought me some new Crisco and I made my icing with that and it was fine, but I always add fudge base to my icing and I think that makes the difference.

The fudge base is from my cake supply store, and I'm sure you can get it online but I don't know for sure where.

ranbel Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:52am
post #6 of 10

Thanks eveyone.

I may have to try a couple diff brands before next weekend and see what I get. I have see the hi-ratio before, so I'll look for it.

If all else fails, I guess I'll have to use the Crisco. It just looked to shinny and the texture appeared more greasy instead of creamy to me. Maybe a little more sugar might fix that.

Again, thanks

yh9080 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 10

I use the Piggly Wiggly Brand with great success. It still has trans fat in it.

deanwithana Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 10

I still continue to use the crisco......in addition to using more sugar, try less liquid.....it seems to help and my BC crusts very well!!!

indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 10

When I first read all of the complaints about the new Crisco, I was totally confused because I hadn't noticed ANY difference during the switch. Here's my recipe that I've used for 25 years. When I posted it, a number of CC'ers tried it with great success. It crusts very well.

Like I said, I never knew there was an issue with new Crisco until I read about it.

Not to sound like a commercial, but "I tried a cheaper shortening once" and my roses fell off of the cake. I've NEVER used anything but Crisco since.

steplite Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 10

I was just about ready to give up on Crisco until I tried Gourmrtcakes Crusting buttercream Icing here on CC. It was great. It's not as white(Because of the butter) but It's still good. I made it the second time using two cups of Crisco and one cup butter. It was a little whiter and still good. This is my new recipe for good. Thanks Gourmetcakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%