Stack My Cake With Sugar Shack's Buttercream Tips?

Decorating By dtmc Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 12:11am by tdybear1978

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 28

Hi all and mostly Sugarshack,

I know Sugar shack is coming out with a dvd very soon on stacking and believe me....I'm so ordering it!!!!

But I just did a wedding cake using Sugarshacks buttercream tips and WOW does it work. THis is my best iced cake to date. However now I have to move the cakes on top of each other and I'm absolutly afraid that I'm going to disrupt all my buttercream smoothness especially since there is so much buttercream around the bases and not to mention this is a round, square and round cake...difficult?

ANy advice or tips is appreciated. I have each cake on its own cardboard cake circle/square. I usually use the wooden dowels and cardboard circles for my support system.

Boy do I wish I had her dvd now! I sure can use it!

Thanks all!

27 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:42am
post #2 of 28

Wow, I wish I had one to send you now. LOL

for larger tiers I leave the dowels sticking up some. I flash freeze the upper tier for 12 minutes to help release it from the board you iced it on, and then place it on the dowels ( bubble straws for me), and let it sink down under its own weight.

did that help at all?

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:16am
post #3 of 28

Hi there!!

Is there a link to Sugarshack's buttercream tips??
I have lately been having problems with bulging between the layers once
I frost my cakes.
The last cakes I did, I frosted the two cakes together lunchtime and let them rest, then late the night I frosted the cakes and the next morning, there was this bulging on the sides where the 2 cakes are stacked together.
Not sure if maybe my frosting is a big soft, but when I put a bit of pressure on the cakes before frosting, there was no movement..........so why when I frosted the whole cake was there this bulging from between the two cakes??
Can anyone put some light on the subject for me

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:46am
post #4 of 28

So you cut the straws to fit all the way but you don't push them all the way down?? In other words you leave them up a bit so you can get your fingers under the cake and when you pull your hands away and drop the cake the straws push down into the bottom tier?

If it's what I think it that is a wonderful idea!

Have you ever had the straws not go all the way down?

sugarshack Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine49

Hi there!!

Is there a link to Sugarshack's buttercream tips??
I have lately been having problems with bulging between the layers once
I frost my cakes.
The last cakes I did, I frosted the two cakes together lunchtime and let them rest, then late the night I frosted the cakes and the next morning, there was this bulging on the sides where the 2 cakes are stacked together.
Not sure if maybe my frosting is a big soft, but when I put a bit of pressure on the cakes before frosting, there was no movement..........so why when I frosted the whole cake was there this bulging from between the two cakes??
Can anyone put some light on the subject for me

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-19948-buttercream.html+tips

to help with bulging you need to make your dam SUPER stiff.

sugarshack Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

So you cut the straws to fit all the way but you don't push them all the way down?? In other words you leave them up a bit so you can get your fingers under the cake and when you pull your hands away and drop the cake the straws push down into the bottom tier?

If it's what I think it that is a wonderful idea!

Have you ever had the straws not go all the way down?

correct! sometimes i have to push the tier down the rest of the way with a dowel, no biggie!

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 28

so you take the board off of your second tier? You have your bottom tier, put in your dowels and then place next cake directly on to the bottom cake without any board? what keeps the cake from just sinking down into the bottom cake and the dowels just going thru the bottom of the second cake? does that make sense? haha

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 28

Correct me if I'm wrong Sugarshack...

but I believe she uses foam board under her cake but ices on a tuff board, then pops the tuff board off when stacking.

I cant' wait to get the stacking DVD to see this in action! icon_smile.gif

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 28

To help with the bulging, I make a dam with stiff icing. After I stack the layer on top, I pipe a line of stiff icing around the "seam" and crumbcoat.

See KelleyM's instructions at:
http://www.cakeboss.com/PreventBulging.aspx

sugarshack Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenu

Correct me if I'm wrong Sugarshack...

but I believe she uses foam board under her cake but ices on a tuff board, then pops the tuff board off when stacking.

I cant' wait to get the stacking DVD to see this in action! icon_smile.gif

Correct! There is always 1/2 inch fomecore under each tier. In the DVD I show you how to do it so you cannot see that fomecore at all= you can use a teeny tiny border or NO border!

thumbs_up.gif

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:33pm
post #11 of 28

Yes, I'm a good student...Sugarshack 101! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 28

this is great info

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:51pm
post #13 of 28

Come on with the dvd already, Sugar Shack! Can't wait. Ok, so following along... 1/2 inch foam core -- not sure what that is -- not just a cardboard cake round? Then how do you pick up the upper tier and put it down again without messing up the icing on the upper tier? Just hold it from underneath, center, and drop?

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:56pm
post #14 of 28

Sharon, where do you buy your foam core board from? Do you order it off line? I live in a area where we only have Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Lowes and Stamples...oh and a JCPenney.

RE: To Stacking DVD
I have a birthday coming up soon and told DH that I would like to have the dvd thumbs_up.gif ...but is there another way to order the dvd? I don't have a visa card or paypal. I would only be able to do money order.

Thanks Sharon, for your time, info and help you have shared with us.
God Bless,
Sharon

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:14pm
post #15 of 28

sharon,
i have a question for you. icon_smile.gif i used smbc pretty much exclusively, does the method you used in your dvd apply to smbc as well? thanks!

sorry for the highjack!

sugarshack Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:47pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

Come on with the dvd already, Sugar Shack! Can't wait. Ok, so following along... 1/2 inch foam core -- not sure what that is -- not just a cardboard cake round? Then how do you pick up the upper tier and put it down again without messing up the icing on the upper tier? Just hold it from underneath, center, and drop?

yep! with the help of my beloved palette knife and hevay duty flipper! icon_biggrin.gif

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:52pm
post #17 of 28

Just looked for foam core boards at Global Sugar Art -- no luck. Where to find?

sugarshack Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:52pm
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannys3angels

Sharon, where do you buy your foam core board from? Do you order it off line? I live in a area where we only have Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Lowes and Stamples...oh and a JCPenney.

RE: To Stacking DVD
I have a birthday coming up soon and told DH that I would like to have the dvd thumbs_up.gif ...but is there another way to order the dvd? I don't have a visa card or paypal. I would only be able to do money order.

Thanks Sharon, for your time, info and help you have shared with us.
God Bless,
Sharon

i order it onlne by the case.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply/catalogs/0057949000000

( u might want to shop around for rpices; not sure that is cheapest)

yes, you can mail me a check, PM me.

thumbs_up.gif

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:59pm
post #19 of 28

Foamcore board can also be found at Michael's and Hobby Lobby in the art sections.

sugarshack Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:06pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

sharon,
i have a question for you. icon_smile.gif i used smbc pretty much exclusively, does the method you used in your dvd apply to smbc as well? thanks!

sorry for the highjack!

Hi Dailey!

I have not used that icing but I think the technique would work.

(I do use the typing paper during the repair section which requires crusting, and the bonus section is on stenciling which I have not done on SMBC, FYI)

HTH!

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:01pm
post #21 of 28

I cant wait for the dvd either. I already ordered it to go w/ my collection. I already have the other two and they are amazing. Oh and by the way Sharon you saved me a BUNCH of money I was ready to buy the big Viking mixer so I could make more than 2 lbs of buttercream at a time until I got the first dvd and you said to make a huge batch in the Artisian (which I already had). So thanks and I am sure my dh thanks you too.
Melissa

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:14pm
post #22 of 28

Sharon

Can you tell us approx. when the new dvd will be available? I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will be at the MACS in April so I can pick them all up at one shot!

Thanks
Alicia

sugarshack Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:07pm
post #23 of 28

icon_biggrin.gif

If all goes well i will have it at MACS and then ship out the pre orders the next week!

dtmc Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 8:53pm
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Wow, I wish I had one to send you now. LOL

for larger tiers I leave the dowels sticking up some. I flash freeze the upper tier for 12 minutes to help release it from the board you iced it on, and then place it on the dowels ( bubble straws for me), and let it sink down under its own weight.

did that help at all?

Well, I had already stacked the cake and then saw that you had replied. LOL! oh well.....but your tips was like a slap in the head. I can't believe I haven't thought of that! Well, I have another wedding cake that I'm working on right now and I will use that tip.

Anyway, here is a picture of the cake that I had stacked. But I wanted to share with you all Sugarshack's buttercream tips. This is the smoothest and most perfect cake I have done to date! Even the square cake is perfect!!! YAHOO!!!!! I can't wait to put the cake topper on and and the finishing touches when I get to the reception hall.

THANKS SO MUCH SUGARSHACK! I can't wait for the next DVD! icon_biggrin.gif

dtmc Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:12pm
post #25 of 28

Sorry here is the picture

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 9:47pm
post #26 of 28

Your cake looks GREAT and you did a wonderful job on it, WTG! The sides of your cake boards are hiden so well. I like the colors and the decorations.

Awesome Job!!!! thumbs_up.gif
God Bless,
Sharon

sugarshack Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:01pm
post #27 of 28

wow dtmz!!

Your cake is sooo smooth and you don't even need the stacking DVD with thsoe small borders! icon_razz.gif ( but thanks for ordering it anyway! icon_biggrin.gif )

BRAVO!

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:11am
post #28 of 28

okay, i don't know what foamcore is i apparantly need to get this dvd haha icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%