Looking For Sugar Cookie Tips

Baking By ac2steachk Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 2:45am by ac2steachk

ac2steachk Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all,
I'm planning another day of making sugar cooking soon and I'm looking for some tips. I have used the NFSC recipe and I like it.
The last time I made cookies, I rolled the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper like the recipe suggests. I had trouble keeping the paper "in place" as I was rolling. It seemed like a lot more trouble to me, but I like the idea of not using more flour. Can you help me figure out a manageable way to do this or other good ways to get the dough rolled out?

8 replies
christeena Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 9

Sometimes I put the dough on parchment but then put plastic wrap over it and roll out. The plastic wrap doesn't slide around. Also, you could put a SMOOTH rubbery shelf liner underneath the parchment to keep it from sliding around on the counter or table.

alanahodgson Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:03am
post #3 of 9

I have one of those silicone mats (its tupperware, but it's like silpat) that I lay under my parchment to keep it from sliding. I remember the sliding....very frustrating. I find that it's not as necessary to put the parchment on top when rolling. When I use the top paper, I find that my bottom paper crinkles up and leaves creases in my dough. I'm wondering if a piece of plastic wrap under your parchement might stop the sliding.

ac2steachk Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:22am
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the replies. I will try putting something under the bottom paper to hold it. Even more than the bottom paper sliding, I had trouble with the top one. I hadn't even thought of just not using a top one--wake me up. I don't need a top paper if I use the "flour method" so I shouldn't need one with the parchment. I'll try that also.
Happy baking.

N2Cookies Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:35am
post #5 of 9

I have avoid the slippery slide problem by using guide slats that are placed on top of the paper. I use both top and bottom parchment with the guides being placed on the top. My rolling pin extends beyond the guides so nothing moves as I apply pressure while rolling out my dough, neither does the paper crinkle. HTH. My guides are 18" pieces of wood trim

sabbrina Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 9

To keep the bottom paper from sliding you you can tear it a little bit bigger and then tape it to your table. Cheap and easy solution icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps,

sabbrina Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 9

A few things I forget to mention above ....

Have you tried waxed paper instead of parchment paper? I made cookies yesterday and used waxed paper to roll my dough between. It did not slide at all. You can't use it in the oven, but it sure is nice to use to roll out the dough.

Another thing I noticed is that the dough is much easier to roll out when I placed it in the freezer for about 5 minutes. Just enough time to get it cold (not hard). It stays together much nicer and is not nearly as sticky and hard to work with. Before placing it in the freezer and then again after I take it out I kneed the dough a bit. That too seems to help.

Also, I have a fondant mat (Wilton brand) that I put under my bottom piece of waxed paper. I am not sure if that helped it to stay in place or not, but I didn't have any problems with it sliding when I do that.

Another thing regarding the waxed paper crinkling. I did have that happen, but to fix it I just removed my top waxed paper and immediatly placed it back on the dough. Then I went over it with the base of my hand and the wrinkles came right out.

HTH everyone icon_smile.gif

jenjens Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 9

I just used my tummy pressed up to the counter holding the parchment paper steady! Thats what I get for eating the cookies while they are still warm from the oven. A bigger tummy!!!
I made a huge bathch of cookies for my stepdaughters birthday on Saturday using NFSC.

ac2steachk Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:45am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the additional thoughts. I have found my parchment paper to be a bit slippery for tape...the tape just slides off when I use the rolling pin. It doesn't when I tape an icing bag or other things...just when I roll cookies.
I'll try the W mat and some waxed paper too.
Now to find the time to make the cookies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%