'spray Can' Use Question

Decorating By joaaaann Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 8:52pm by BlakesCakes

joaaaann Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 3

I was watching a Food Challenge show last night ( were competing for Dr. Suess theme) and I saw that 'Maher' had used a spray can with the label showing 'Dust Off'. She was spraying the underside of a section adjacent to the top tier like it was being used as an adhesive (?). I've heard the term 'freeze spray' and have never used it and know nothing about when it would be used honestly, but is that the same thing as a keyboard 'dust off' type spray?

2 replies
AJsGirl Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 3

Oh my! Yes, Dust Off is keyboard spray. Doesn't it have CO2 or something in it? Can that be food safe?

BlakesCakes Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 3

NO, NO, NO--"Dust Off", or any other keyboard spray is most definitely NOT foodsafe!!!! Perhaps because the cake wasn't going to be eaten the creators decided to cut costs and use this stuff (the real, foodsafe freeze spray is very costly).

I've e-mailed several companies that make commercial sprays and they all say that the packaging and sometimes the actual sources of the propellants are in no way safe for food. Wilton and Betty Crocker make food safe canned spray on colors and not only are the ingredients foodsafe, but the can materials are, as well as the gases used to propel the ingredients. They spend a lot of money creating food safe delivery systems. The makers of Dust Off have no incentive to spend this money, so they don't worry if their ingredients aren't OK to eat. The air in these cans mixes with other chemicals that will then be deposited on the food. If those chemicals aren't certified for human consumption, then the spray shouldn't be used on something that will be eaten.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%