Fondant Help

Decorating By momof2cutebugs Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 7:49pm by agroeve

momof2cutebugs Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 3

I need a really good fondant recipe. I used the wilton the other day and I knew it tasted bad but luckily it was just a large decoration for the cake and wasn't eaten.

Also need to know how to make a handle for an easter basket cake

2 replies
alanahodgson Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 3

Michele Foster's delicious fondant recipe is found in the recipe section here at CC. It delicious and so easy to work with. You can't go wrong. Just be sure to measure your gelatin rather than jus throw packets in. The packet's are not reliable.

To make a handle, I'd add tylose powder to my fondant to add strength. Roll out a long sausage, roll it flat, cut it to the desired width, and then either stand it on its side in the desired shape, or find something like a bowl that is the desired shape and drape it over. Let it dry for several days so that it's good and strong. In the oven with the light on (no heat) can expediate drying. Or under/in front of a fan. Or under a lamp.

agroeve Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 3

sorry can't help with the fondant as i'm in the uk. look at this pic of a basket i did:

if this is the type of handle you want i made some royal icing, put in 3tsp of gum tragacanth (tylose can be used also) mixed it together and let it stand for about 1/2 and hour covered with a damp cloth, then needed it till it was soft like fondant and pushed it through a fondant gun (clay gun) then shaped it around a piece of cardboard attached to the cake and let it dry overnight. the next day i CAREFULLY took the handle and the card off, and reattached the handle to the cake. its fragile but looks great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%