Color Flow?

Decorating By Kandy4283 Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 3:37pm by Rosie2

Kandy4283 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 12

Ok, I was viewing some pics in the gallery and i came across a really cute pic of a victoria secert cake and she stated that she used color flow, i have no idea how to do this or what it is, but it was really cute and looked perfect....does ne one know how to use this or do this i should say??!!

11 replies
alanahodgson Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 12

Color flow is a product sold by Wilton. It is a powder that is mixed with water to make something similar to royal icing at flow consistency. It is supposedly stronger than royal, though cannot speak from experience. The same effect can usually be achieved by using royal icing. The technique is called royal icing run out. You trace the pattern with a stiff consistency, then water it down and fill it in with flow (thin) consistency icing. Color flow works the same way.

tonedna Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 12

Yes is a little bit stronger and shinnier than RI
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Kandy4283 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:16am
post #4 of 12

Thanks guys!! Doesn't sound like something that I would like to work with! Just easier to draw it out! lol or maybe that is just me ne way!

TexasSugar Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:30am
post #5 of 12

The above is the directions for color flow. As was said you can definetly do this with the royal icing. 90% of the ones I have done have been with royal.

It is a good techinque that you can do ahead and use when needed. icon_smile.gif

SLK Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:41am
post #6 of 12

The main difference between the two is that color flow dries shiner than thinned royal icing which has a more matted look. I use then both quite frequently.

I've never noticed that one is stronger than the other though. I've found that tempature and humidity have a lot to do with that.

It really is a lot easier to use than it sounds! Give it a try, you might end up finding it's your favorite new technique of the year!

tracey1970 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 12

I use color flow all the time and have posted several color flow pieces in my photos. It's actually very easy and great for finely detailed pictures.

BROOKSIE007 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 12

Just make sure you let it dry for a few days. Use a flat spatula to loosen it. You might want to try acetate paper. You can lay it over the design and trace it with your icicng. Just tape your acetate paper to your design. I like the acetate better than wax paper. It wont get the wrinkles like the wax paper does when it gets wet.

Rosie2 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 12
Originally Posted by BROOKSIE007

Just tape your acetate paper to your design. I like the acetate better than wax paper. It wont get the wrinkles like the wax paper does when it gets wet.

I just run into this thread and was wondering...what is acetate paper? is it similar to parchment paper?

Ok, thank you!

alanahodgson Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 12

acetate is a clear plastic. Here's a link to a pic

Cakenicing4u Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:50am
post #11 of 12

I'm having a terrible time with my color flow!! Help?? I'm a former wilton instructor and I know that the flow will work, it's just not working so far!! I made just the right consistency, outlined my patterm. let it dry and brushed it with gold dust... looks awesome... then I mixed up my fill icing to a easier consisteny, mixed in my color, and started filling the designs... looks good-- but as it dried, it developed air pockets and collapsed. So I let the icing sit for a while, tapping out some of the air, and gently stirring to release some of the bubbles. Waited for three hours, then did my last to pieces, and damn, same thing happens again! That means I blew eight hours, six celtic knots and a bottle of gold dust for nothing. They look rerrible!

IDdeas? I even tried filling in the piece and running a pin thru it while it was wet to let the air come out and I tapped it on the surface too.... that's all the tricks I know. WAAAAA

Rosie2 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 12
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

acetate is a clear plastic. Here's a link to a pic

Thank you very much Alana, you're very kind and helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%