Need Some Advice About Getting An Airbrush

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 3:56am by mcook1670

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 13

I've been thinking about getting an airbrush but I have no idea what to look for. Mostly, I'd use it for home baking, nothing commercial. I found this on ebay but, again, I don't know what to look for in terms of features and price. Any help would be great! Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=1802

12 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 13

No airbrush at that link. However, If you are just thinking of working with an airbrush, you might first consider trying an inexpensive version. Michaels, and other craft stores have them, about 6 variations. Then the expense is the compressor. I use canned propellant for practice, to be sure I wanted to spend the money on better equiment.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 13

I recently purchased both airbrush and compressor from harbor freight.
I got them both for under $70

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 13

Shoot, I wonder why the link didn't work. I'll try again. So in addition to an airbrush, I'd need to buy the jars and paints too. Is there a good source for those things? Several people have mentioned Duff bought his at Home Depot. How does this work with the paints?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180223370950&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 13

What Duff got at Home Depot was not an airbrush, it was a prevail sprayer. If you do a search you will find a few threads about it (don't know if I spelled it right).

Superstar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Superstar2 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 13

MnSnow, what model did you get? They seem to have the best selection.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 13

I would also love to know what model you got. There are so many.

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 13

In my area Micheal's have a 50% off coupon promotion quite frequently. If you have that, or something like it that would be the time to buy your compressor (they may have the same specials online also - not sure). The brushes themselves aren't as expensive as the compressors, but make sure it's what you want do before you drop a couple of hundred.
It really depends on how intricate and detailed your work will be.
I have two badgers, and LOVE them! thumbs_up.gif I went for the Badgers because I like the option of using them for different projects - not just cake decorating. I'll admit though, I just assumed the Kopycake system was ONLY for cake use - and the price is close to the same.

You can check http://www.badgerairbrush.com/ for a chart on the brushes and their applications. Click 'Airbrushes' - then 'Airbrush Chart' = cake decorating is third from left under Applications.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 13

I was thinking of getting an airbrush at michael's too. But then I remembered that sometimes in the summer they have 60% off coupons. So I'm going to wait till then.
Jen...

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 13

I just took a class from Bronwen Weber and we used this model in class and says that she likes this one the best. She reccomends a single action airbrush for beginners. I am going to buy this one because it is similar to what we used in class

http://airbrushcity.com/gd100.htm

and this compressor

http://www.airbrushcity.com/144AC.htm

they have sets

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 13

I also got my airbrush at harbor freigh on sale for 12.99... I used it earlier today and work, thie airmaster is broken. I like the airmaster compressor better than my big ole porter cable compressor from when I did construction, but i like a dual better than a single and it was 12.99.. can't go wong icon_biggrin.gif
oh here's the wesite www.harborfreigt.com

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:31pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks! That will save me a ton of money when I am ready to buy one. Are those ones not as powerful or as good though?
Jen...

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:56am
post #13 of 13

my porter cable compressor isn't designed to be used at low psi.. it's used to shoot nails. I would buy a air brush compressor.. they sell a complete kit for like 100 or so or just a compressor for under 60. i used my 12.99 airbrush with an airmaster compressor and it works really well. I don't like the airmaster airbrush at work, because it doesn't work right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%