No Box Mixes At Bake Sale!

Decorating By Penny7271 Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm by MaisieBake

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:40am
post #61 of 148

I don't know about that school rules. I think its a PTA thing . They get to make up their own rules and they might have a very good reason as to why they asked for no box mixes or store bought anything. As to the allergy situation, unfortunately we live in an artificial worlk. There is too much pollution in our environment, artificial ingredients in our food than there was 10, 20, 30 yrs ago. It seems that every year that goes by the pollution increases and so does the illnesses and disorders. Of course the number or kids with allergies and disorders have tripled in the past years but so has the contaminants in our environment and food. I am a special ed teacher and I cannot tell you how many new illnesses and disorders are appearing. And we think this wasn't around when I was little, well neither were more than half of the preservatives in our food now adays. Not even if you try to buy organic is that safe. Nothing is organic anymore because guess what we are watering those veg. and plants with recycled water. Guess where that water comes from?

I think I went off topic. but I wouldn't donate anything if I didn't have the time. It would be interesting to find out why they asked for "homemade" items?

By the way, not being able to bring homemade food to school or other children than your own, is a law in effect that most states are adopting for various reason already mentioned in this thread.

Sun11598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sun11598 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:42am
post #62 of 148

Well...do marshmallows rolled in kool-aid with a tooth pick stuck in them count as 'homemade'?

We always had these at bake sales. No 'box mixes' there...

I'd have to send it just to see someone's reaction. Ingredients: Marshmallows, Kool-aid LOL

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:57am
post #63 of 148

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! "Ingredients: Marshmallows, Kool-aid."

I think I got my giggle for the night... icon_biggrin.gif

And I probably would just not donate either. But my kids aren't in school... icon_biggrin.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:02am
post #64 of 148

An allergy is an allergic reaction to a food/chemical/substance as I recall. If I had a child with allergies I'd supply their treats on party days and not expect everyone else to bend to his/her special needs. I've sent cupcake cakes for my grand daughter's b-days and supplied all the faculty party cakes where my dd teaches and noone ever cared/asked what was in them OR how they were made. They just asked me to keep them coming.

redbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redbird Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:21am
post #65 of 148

This allergy banning is getting out of hand, though. My sister was a substitute teacher before getting a full-time job and at least one school district had a no peanut butter rule meaning she wasn't to bring a pb & j sandwhich for lunch--even though she'd probably be eating in the teachers lounge. I've heard of "no peanut tables" which makes sense but this seemed crazy to me.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:29am
post #66 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

My guess would be that the bake sale would sound more impressive if they used it for advertising purposes... all from scratch, nothing purchased or from a mix. It would definately make me more likely to purchase and try the baked from scratch goods. Or maybe they're trying to cut down on the amount of items coming in if they've received too much before... I'll definately be watching to find out more of their reasoning... it's fascinating!

I agree with this completely. I grew up in a small Midwest town. Everyone cooked from scratch and everyone knew how to cook. We had carry-in dinners all the time and the food was awesome. About 15 years ago I moved to California and I found life real different. The Church was having an ice cream social and I went, all excited about it. Much to my surprise, they were serving ice cream from 5 gal. cartons, which they had purchased from somewhere. I was expecting home made ice cream, served from an old fashioned crank ice cream freezer. I was so disappointed, I just left. Now, I like commercial ice cream and eat some almost everyday but when I go to an ice cream social I expect good ole hand cranked ice cream.
If I went to a bake sale I would expect "made from scratch" baked goods.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:35am
post #67 of 148

OMG!!! I send stuff at least once a month! The only rule in our school is no nuts. But I still go in anyway. HAHAHAHA!!! (I just made myself laugh. I must be tired!!!)
Ok, by nothing homemade, does that mean I can't send my kid's sandwich with bread I made??? I think I'd have to move to a new state!!!

thecakemancan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemancan Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:49am
post #68 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I'm not so sure that everyone is coming down with allergies, I think it's because we are putting things in our food that just do not belong in our bodies, too many chemicals and preservatives, and they can't handle it, but maybe it's not an allergy.

Add our district to the list of schools that do not allow homemade goodies.

Amen! That is exactly what I have been thinking through this whole thread! I have been going through a program based on "holistic health", where you don't eat anything that God didn't create to be eaten (i.e. Fast food, hydrogenated fats, etc.). So far, I have had no adverse effects and I feel much better than when I started. sorry for jacking the thread, but this is an issue that I have firm beliefs about. Most of these "allergies" are just ways of our bodies' letting us know that we ate something that definitely doesn't belong there.

Ok, I'm off my soap box...

BTW, I think the school is off its rocker icon_surprised.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:04am
post #69 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

OMG!!! I send stuff at least once a month! The only rule in our school is no nuts. But I still go in anyway. HAHAHAHA!!! (I just made myself laugh. I must be tired!!!)
Ok, by nothing homemade, does that mean I can't send my kid's sandwich with bread I made??? I think I'd have to move to a new state!!!

Ha! Ha! Ha! My favorite response so far!!!...LOL...LOL...LOL......

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:07pm
post #70 of 148

There was an article about allergies just this last week. In our zeal to have clean and anti-bacterial everything, we've eliminated exposure to a lot of the bacteria out there that was common place just a generation ago. Our bodies are turning on themselves, because our immune systems don't have anything else to attack.

My school district has also banned peanut butter from the lunchroom. My kids would've been in some serious trouble, as that's all they'd eat for a while!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:44pm
post #71 of 148

I didn't mean to downplay anyone's allergies. I do think there are real food allergies, I also think there is something else going on in our food that is just not good (chemicals, preservatives, etc.).

thecakemancan....I think your eating program sounds great! I know I start to feel better immediately when I eat a little better, so I know you must be feeling awesome! icon_smile.gif

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:51pm
post #72 of 148
Quote:
Quote:

Does anyone else find it funny that if this were the rule, then none of us who bake professionally could contribute?

After all, our cakes are not "home baked". icon_lol.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:23pm
post #73 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme50

Quote:
Quote:

Does anyone else find it funny that if this were the rule, then none of us who bake professionally could contribute?

I find the whole "must be made from scratch" idea absurd but then that's been hashed over in so many forums, I can't count them. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

Zarrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zarrina Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:21pm
post #74 of 148

I totally understand the whole allergy thing. My best friend's little girl would not gain weight and was constantly broken out in a rash until she took her to an allergist who showed her the severity of her daughter's food allergies. She's highly allergic to peanuts and tree nuts, and moderately allergic to dairy and wheat. My friend doesn't take her anywhere she could come in contact with nuts--since she's had to carry an Epipen with her everywhere, I don't blame her! That said, she makes food just for her daughter, as close as she can get to whatever they're eating, and continues to eat normal stuff (minus nuts, of course). I don't think she would have any problem making something from a mix unless it specifically said it had peanuts or tree nuts in it and it wasn't going to be contained to her kitchen.

Getting back on track for the thread, if I couldn't make something from a mix, I don't think I would contribute. Scratch cakes are really hard to do well and mixes have all that figured out--it's why they exist. If they were worried about it "tasting" like a mix, why couldn't you do an extender? They taste like scratch to me!

Keep us posted...

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:25pm
post #75 of 148

Call me crazy (you wouldn't be the first), but I often have a hard time tasting the difference between scratch and box. I do mostly box, but sometimes scratch. Oh well, I still can't wait to see the whole reason behind the OP question.

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:39pm
post #76 of 148

This topic got me to wonder... does using Almond extract pose as a threat to peanut/nut allergies? I don't use it but I was wondering...

Our county and surrounding counties don't allow homemade, everything must be store bought. We go to a private school though so that doesn't affect us. Crazy though, huh?

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:52pm
post #77 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melan

This topic got me to wonder... does using Almond extract pose as a threat to peanut/nut allergies? I don't use it but I was wondering...

Yes. I won't use almond extract if someone tells me they have nut allergies.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:58pm
post #78 of 148

Almond extract would effect those with tree nut/almond allergies, but not necessarily those alergic to peanuts. My son does fine with almonds, but peanuts close his throat up in a matter of seconds.
My son is also alergic to dairy and it took a long time to figure out the connection. I nursed him for 2 1/2 years because of "reflux" problems and problems we thought he had with digestion. Turns out he doesn't have relux problems at all. His dairy alergy gives him hives or a rash on his face and makes him really congested (runny nose and a lot of mucus in the mouth/throat). When he was a baby, I'd drink a lot of milk since I was nursing -- the more I had, the more reflux problems he had. And, lo and behold, that rash on his face wasn't baby acne after all!!!!
I still wouldn't expect the school system (or actually, the parents within the district) to make special accommodations for my son. Sorry, but the inconsistency within the district rules are what are really frustrating to me. If your kid can't take baked goods in for their b-day, why wouldn't you come up with some other fundraiser other than a bake sale with so many contingencies that no one would participate - with a end result of no funds being raised!

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:03pm
post #79 of 148

I wouldn't make anything for the sale. They are asking for donated items, which to me means to bring what you are able to make timewise and all, yet telling everyone what to bring. What are they cake nazi's? Why not just go ahead and let people know what exactly they want them to bring save all the hastle. Go through their recipes and hand them out. With no box mixes and no store bought it cuts out about 95% of what parents, working or not, can physicaly/financialydo.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:28pm
post #80 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme50

Quote:
Quote:

I've said it a million times .... when I was a kid, none of the mothers baked from scratch. We had bake sales and school carnivals all the time. I remember my mom making cupcakes, using a good 'ole box of Duncan Hines and other mothers bringing in their made-from-a-box cupcakes and cakes.

I just can't figure out where this "if you spend money for it, then it's got to be made from scratch" idea came from. Because it just does not happen 100% of the time. All of those 5-lb boxes of cake mix at Syco and GFS are NOT being sold to housewives. icon_confused.gif

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:29pm
post #81 of 148

Wonder if it's because they dont want anyone to show up with a bakery cake from a mega mart.

As for the boxed mixes there are lots of chemicals added. Some people are heading down the all natural road and I guess that is a control way of saying we'd rather go with all natural ingredients.

I prefer scratch baking for myself and friends. Some of my customers would rather have scratch over boxed any day. But when I dont have the time for scratch I will use a box.

After the serve safe course I took before opening my business i am VERY aware now of what can go wrong in kitchens that arent dilligent in the rules.

I WILL NEVER eat anything made by a child even my own. That is just a rule I started when my daughter was small.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:34pm
post #82 of 148

wow this is so crazy to me... how can the expect you to fork out that kind of money for a "scratch" cake for donation just to make money off of you? If you know your kid has an allergy you don't buy anything from the bake sale... that is like taking my kid into an ice cream parlor if I know they are severly lactose intolerant, you just DON'T DO IT... it amazes me the audacity of this school to just say no box mixes. I start with a box because personally I don't feel like mixing the dry ingredients... I have NEVER had one person refer to my bakery as a box mix bakery, everyone thinks it is from scratch...If I get not complaints why change my way.. I do highly dr. my mix, but I do start with a mix.

I have a customer whose little boy has egg allergies and I always bake the Crazy Chocolate Cake recipe on this site as it is egg free. Now usually mom orders cupcakes which is wonderful because the recipe stickle like a pair of laytex britches on an oversized bootie icon_smile.gif , but nonetheless she orders everything from me for his school parties... I have had numerous mom's call me off of that needing allergy free items.

For all of you moms out there with kids allergies let me suggest www.cherrybrookkitchen.com
they have many nut, egg, gluten, and other allergy free mixes and such.. great site, great customer service. Good luck with your decision, I hope you get a reply soon.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:02pm
post #83 of 148

This makes no sense to me, I'm willing to bet that there are plenty of parents who either don't know how to bake from scratch or just don't have the time. They've just cut their pool of donations down drastically, from what I've seen of bake sales they're lucky if some of the cakes have homemade icing and I've been living in the rural midwest since I was 12.

If they're doing it for allergy issues it makes no sense because you can't be sure a kitchen is nut-free and even a trace amount can affect someone who's very sensitive.

As for the allergy issues I've seen some interesting articles on it, kids in poor countries don't have as many allergies and keeping furry pets seems to help children avoid developing allergies. They say that part of it is the immune system not developing when homes are kept sterile. I can't help but wonder though if some of it is kids who have very serious allergies are just more likely to survive in countries with better health care.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:48pm
post #84 of 148

If it weren't for peanut butter, my children would not eat. When they cut themselves, I swear, they bleed Jif! If the school banned pb because of a couple allergic kids, I would petition at city hall.....I am not kidding.

Please do not think I am not sympathetic to the allergic reactions of children, but GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!! If a kid has allergies, the parents must be dilligent and the child needs to be educated so they know what they can and can't eat. I will never forget when my daughter was in kindergarten and had a friend over..... for some reason, even though there is not one allergy to be had in my whole family, I asked if she had any allergies and the Mom gave me all the details.

Well, when I served some cookies, the little girl (at age 5, mind you) was quick to ask if they had any peanut oil in them! LOL ~ that was a riot, but totally awesome.

I am approaching the end of my rope when it comes to overall changes being made for a few people. If some kids are allergic to PB, they need to stay away from it and ALL children should be educated about allergies. So they understand they may not be allergic but smearing some of their pb & j on the arm of someone who is (thinking the is funny or something) can be very dangerous - even deadly depending on how severe the allergy is. Banning PB from the school is just madness!

Man, I really like peanut butter.....

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:04pm
post #85 of 148

Really, if someone is allergic to a certain food, then do NOT eat it.. but the rest of them don't have to suffer just because some people cannot eat.. that would not be fair to those who are not allergic.

redbird Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:14am
post #86 of 148

I also had to wonder (re: schools that completely ban peanut butter) how the school lunch program survives without those industrial size containers of peanut butter. I remember that as a kid, if we forgot to bring lunch or had no tickets, we still got a pb & j. Of course, school lunches aren't the same as when I was a kid. We had one main selection and a balance of veggies, fruits & dessert. We also had to eat everything we took and there was no option of not taking a little of everything (except dessert). We had yes thank you, thank you, or no thank you size portions. A local school I worked at had three main courses to choose from just to get kids to eat. Can you imagine the job of today's lunch lady?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:29am
post #87 of 148

redbird, this old lady can beat that. "in MY day...." we had one thing for lunch. Wed was Chicken-n-noodles/mashed potatoes/ veggie/salad/roll. Friday was fish sticks, mac-n-cheese, green beans, jello. There was no multi-menu. It was just like at home: This is what we made and this is what you're eating. Period. If you didnt' like fish sticks, you were S.O.L.

Good lord, "kids today" have almost a food court to choose from!

redbird Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:47am
post #88 of 148

Some high schools are food courts!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:41am
post #89 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyellam

I get the whole allergy thing, but people come on. I've got two little ones 2 & 3 and they were always getting sick! I couldn't understand why until I figured out I wasn't letting ANY GERM GET NEXT TO THEM! I calmed down on the cleaning and when they started licking the floor, guess what they didn't get sick anymore. I also have a really clean floor because of their licking lol!

Now I know everyone is going to say, how disgusting, but really when I let my kids go out and get dirty and play in things they aren't supposed to, nothing happens to them. Holy Smokes stop the presses! Headline reads "Mom let her son play in the dirt and eat rocks and yes bugs and lives to tell about it!"

Now I ask did we all wear helmets and pads when we rode our bikes? Nope, not me and I have a very cool looking scar under my chin to prove it! Now we wrap our kids in bubble wrap and charmin and put more pads on them then the NFL players, to go ride 10 feet.

If the bake sale only wants scratch items then it would be a lot easier and less expensive to just give them the money.

Laughing...Now what was it my Mom used to say... "A kid isn't grown until they eat a peck of dirt... " icon_wink.gif I only knew one kid with alergies when I was growing up, and he was alergic to Everything... Oh...did I mention that his mom was popping "mother's little helpers", and vacumned everything in sight!

Ummmm...anybody remember sassafras in the spring? You know Castor Oil really did have it's uses. Did you know that eatting tobacco would kill some intestinal worms? chuckle... In all seriousness, I agree with you. I think that between the over use of antibotics, and general paranoia there are a lot of kids growing up with weaked immune systems because they aren't being Allowed to BE kids...

My two cents... icon_rolleyes.gif

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:55am
post #90 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird

I also had to wonder (re: schools that completely ban peanut butter) how the school lunch program survives without those industrial size containers of peanut butter. I remember that as a kid, if we forgot to bring lunch or had no tickets, we still got a pb & j. Of course, school lunches aren't the same as when I was a kid. We had one main selection and a balance of veggies, fruits & dessert. We also had to eat everything we took and there was no option of not taking a little of everything (except dessert). We had yes thank you, thank you, or no thank you size portions. A local school I worked at had three main courses to choose from just to get kids to eat. Can you imagine the job of today's lunch lady?

OOOOOoooo..did ya'll get the peanut butter bars???? thumbs_up.gif Gawd, I still crave those things... Anybody got the recipe???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%