Question About Wire Springy Things

Decorating By mogzilla Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 1:23pm by ladyonzlake

mogzilla Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 6

I want to put some of those wire springy curls coming out of a cake with beads hanging from them, but I don't know if I can just use wire from Home Depot? Or do I need to find some sort of food-grade wire somewhere?

Can anyone enlighten me?


5 replies
JoAnnB Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 6

You can use floral wire. It comes in cut straight lengths. If you insert a straw into the cake, and the wire into the straw, you don't need to wrap the wires. It also keeps the wires from tearing the cake if your beads are heavy.

Amia Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:40am
post #3 of 6

Yeah, get the floral wire from Michael's. It's $1.99 for 30 pieces. I use the 20 gauge myself, but they have several other sizes.

CakesByLJ Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:54am
post #4 of 6

You can also use the gold and silver spools of wire in the craft section; it also comes in different guages... I use the small coffee stirrers (straws) to insert the wires in...

mogzilla Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you! I would have never thought of putting straws in first. You all are brilliant!

ladyonzlake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, I use floral wire and jewelry wire from the craft section. Straws are a must for heavy items so that it doesn't slice out of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%