Keeping A Scratch Cake Fresher/moister Longer?

Decorating By absolutecakes Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 4:37am by Hawkette

absolutecakes Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 13

Is there anything that you can add to a scratch cake to keep it fresher or more moist for a longer period of time? Even just an extra couple days. I know you can get cake enhancers, but I am not exactly sure if this is what you would use them for.

Any ideas would be great!

12 replies
crisseyann Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 13

I've heard people use a simple syrup to moisten their cakes. I'm not sure if it adds any time to the length of freshness, though. There is a recipe on this site for a simple syrup using liqueur as a flavoring, but I suppose if you didn't want to use booze (LOL) you could omit it and it would be fine. Good luck!

alanahodgson Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 13

King Arthur Flour sells a culinary thickener called signiture secrets, that is supposed to make scratch cakes more moist. I bought it but haven't tried it out yet. I've also seen a recipe on their site that uses corn starch. I'm wondering if that might also help with moistness, since it is also a thickener. Anybody familiar with this? I'm not exactly sure this answers your question, though because just 'cause it's more moist when it comes out of the oven, does not necessarily mean the cake will be moist two days later.

Petit-four Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks for asking this question...I've been wondering too. I've found sour-cream based recipes tend to keep longer.

Lor-Ann sells bakery emulsions which are supposed to not "bake-out." Do these help preserve cakes?

gandelmom Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 13

I have worked at two bakeries (still at the second). We always simple syrup our cakes-my first bakery did it for cupcakes, too.

Simple syrup:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar

let come to boil and boil without stirring until sugar has completely dissolved.
Generously brush all cake tops with syrup. I freeze my syrup and take it out whenever I need it.

It definitely keeps the cake moister and I think with the additional syrup, helps to make it stay fresher longer.

allie73 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 13

What I've always wondered about using simple syrup is doesn't it make the cake too sweet? It seems like adding another entire cup of sugar would almost make my teeth hurt when I took a bite.

gandelmom Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 13

You don't put the entire cup of syrup on the cake-you just brush some on-don't soak it!! icon_biggrin.gif
It is meant to keep cake fresh and moist-

allie73 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 13

Ahhhhhhh! That makes more sense! I will have to try that!

puzzlegut Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 13

alanahodgson: Does the package give instructions on how you would use the signature secrets? I would be interested in hearing more about this.

I haven't done much with scratch baking. The times I've done it, I used flavored coffee syrup in place of doing simple syrup. The one cake I did lasted almost a whole week and it was still fine.

staceyboots Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:06pm
post #10 of 13

i dont know if this helps, but i always freeze my scratch cakes at least for one day. this adds plenty of moisture to my scratch chocolate cakes as they dont even dry out in the fridge

there are plenty threads on CC about freezing cakes.

i will search for a couple of them for you

staceyboots Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:13pm
post #11 of 13

here is the link:

this will be useful if you are concerned about the cake drying out / going stale if you bake it a couple of days in advance

alanahodgson Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:49pm
post #12 of 13

[quote="puzzlegut"]alanahodgson: Does the package give instructions on how you would use the signature secrets? I would be interested in hearing more about this. quote]

yes, it does. The package says to add like 1 TBS per cup of flour I think.

Hawkette Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:37am
post #13 of 13

To enhance moistness, once your cakes are baked an cool enough to handle, but still warm, wrap them in plastic wrap and put them in the refrigerator (overnight is best). This allows the cake to reabsorb some of the moisture it loses through evaporation while baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%