Please Help!!! Cake Issues

Decorating By lelajoyce Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 2:58pm by pjaycakes

lelajoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lelajoyce Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 3

Ok so I have this these problems when baking a frosting my cake....
First, I have purchased a 8" round pan that is 3" deep. The cake bakes at 350 degress for about 55 min...the top however gets humps in the center...these are small humps less then 1 inch wide and the there will be a cluster of them in the center of the cake. I dont have this problem with my 2" deep 9" round pans. I am using the Wilton bake even strips on both kinds of pans. the cake is still nice after i flip it out but i am curious about the lumps/humps

next my problem is frosting the cake...I am following the wilton Buttercream icing receipe and I am also putting a crumb coat on and using the icer tip but I still cant get a smooth cake.....Crumbs are a huge problem!!! it seems that bits of my cake are lifting off with my spatula and icing. I let my cake cool completely before icing but still am having problems!!

I have a class tomarrow and am ashamed to take a hideous looking cake in...any ideas are gretly appreciated!

Thanks. icon_sad.gif

2 replies
AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 3

I can't give any advice on the humps, but as far as crumbs go, when I started using a baking spray with flour in it, my cakes came out nice and smooth and very few crumbs at all. I noticed more crumbs when I was coating with shortening and then flouring the pans.

HTH

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 3

I don't know what the humps are either. I have had them on some cakes, but I usually cut the tops off so they get cut off with it.

As for the icing, it sounds like your icing may be a bit too stiff or dry. Try adding just a bit more liquid like 1 tablespoon at a time until it is a medium consistency (soft but holds a peak). Also, I've heard if you add some corn syrup (don't know how much) this helps your icing smooth easier. I haven't done this so I don't know how it works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%