Cake Not Rising To Full Height Of Pan

Decorating By sambugjoebear Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 3:08pm by melysa

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 8

I made a one pan mix to fit a 8x8x2 pan. It never rose to the full height of the pan. I made a double batch so I would have a two layered cake, and ended up having to make a 3rd cake to get the height needed. What went wrong? Is there something I can do to help make the cake rise the full height? I seem to have this problem with a lot of my cakes icon_sad.gif

7 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 8

How full was the pan using 1 mix? Bake even strips will help but if you don't have enough batter in the pan it won't raise to the top. I fill my pans almost 2/3 full. HTH

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 8

a square pan takes alot more batter than a round pan. when you have a four inch high round, you can yeild up to 24 wedding servings (1x2x4) and with an 8 inch square cake, it can yeild 32 servings (1x2x4). i'll see if i can find the chart that shows how many cups of batter you need for different sized and shaped pans.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 8

I also fill mine about 2/3 full. I like them to rise above pan somewhat-helps when you level. But I bake at lower temp 325 and use the baking strips, and bake for a longer time.

sambugjoebear Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 8

The pan was 1/2 full from the recipe batter. I used bake even strips and baked at 325. Apparently I'm just gonna have to make more batter for each cake that I make. :/

melysa Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 8

here is a link to a good chart. an 8" round takes 3 cups, an 8" square takes 4 cups. http://www.bakedecoratecelebrate.com/techniques/amountbakingguide.cfm

i am not sure if that is mix or scratch. i do notice that baking from scratch, the cakes dont rise as high as they do when i used to bake with mixes. at any rate though, you will need more for a square pan. fill like the others said, about 2/3 full.

sambugjoebear Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 8

thanks icon_smile.gif

I used a scratch mix, so, like you said, that probably had something to do with it too. I'll just have to remember to do a triple batch when I want a double layer cake. LOL

melysa Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 8

at least with the square pan anyway. next time you make a batch of batter, measure how many cups it yeilds, as well as your other recipes. recipes will vary quite a bit. alot are made to yeild two 8" rounds, but i use a chocolate recipe that easily does that PLUS two 4" rounds. about 9 cups of batter as compared to the common 5-6 cups. just keep that chart handy and make it a point to see what your recipes come out with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%