How Much Should I Charge For This.... ?

Decorating By catin Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 6:26pm by akgirl10

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 12

I was a little curious to find out how much would this cake would go for . I have a friend that is interested in having this for her daughter's 1st birthday. But I don't want to charge too much .

http://www.cakecentral.com/mod.....id=1192091

Just wondering

Thank you

Julie

11 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 12

Your link URL is missing some information, so it can't be viewed.
If you fix it, we can help you... icon_smile.gif

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 12

Here is the new URL to the cake ....Sorry about the previous one . I don't know what happened .

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1192091.html

Hope this helps everyone .

Can't wait to see what yous think.

Julie

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 12

If I'm doing a cake for someone, I usually figure the cost of ingredients, plus $10 an hour for my time.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 12

For character cakes I usually just charge like $20. It's really not all that much icing to use and they don't take a lot of time. Plus, I would just throw the smash cake in if it's for a 1st bday.

jekizer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jekizer Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 12

I have done a cake very similar to that and I charged her $35.00. She loved the cake and the price.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 12

Usually the character pans say they take one mix (I bake from scratch so I don't know from experience so don't quote me).. that's equivalent to an 8" cake.. 15 - 20 servings. I don't like the character pans.. just looking at all the stars makes my wrist hurt.. icon_lol.gif

Since this is a friend.. I would probably charge for the ingredients.. If not a really good friend.. $40.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 12

ummm...I end up using about a mix and a half on those character pans(for box)...they are WRONG...because then you don't get that high of a cake when you use jut one and I think it looks icky to have like a 1 1/2" high cake. Just fill the pan half full..that's what I do.

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 12

I'm in a small town and $20 is about right for a character pan cake. Start going too high and you lose customers. They go right to Sam's Club for their cake.

divaofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaofcakes Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 12

I would charge $35 plus $10 for the smash cake. That's Houston prices... If a customer says no to what I quote, I have no problem not making it... I like my free time. icon_smile.gif

I read once on CC this quote: "Quality cakes ain't cheap and cheap cakes ain't quality!" I love this attitude.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:19pm
post #11 of 12

I would charge $25, if it's a first birthday, smash cake is free, if not, then $5 for it.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:26pm
post #12 of 12

Cute, that's the cake I did for my daughter's first bday too. I think around $25 is fine, they're pretty simple, and you probably wouldn't fill it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%