How To Make A Palm Tree

Decorating By kellycat102938 Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 1:33pm by kellycat102938

kellycat102938 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 6

Is there a certain cutter that I need to buy to make the palm tree leaves or is everyone doing this freehand. I would prefer a cutter. Not sure if I trust my free hand. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, I noticed the trunk of the palm tree of others looks like it has scales. Are they adding several shapes to get that effect? I am working on my daughters 1st birthday cake......starting 2 months ahead because I have NO idea what I am doing.....just starting out, but loving it alreadicon_smile.gif

5 replies
sugarshack Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 6

do you mean palm trees flat on the side of the cake?

look at the one i have in my gallery, it's a beach theme 3 tier. i made the palm leaves with a big circle cookie cutter, cut crescent shapes and then cut notches in the sides with an eaxcto knife.

HTH

love2makecakes Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 6

I did a jungle themed cake for my sons 1st birthday (you can see it in my photos) and I just covered big straws with fondant and used a rose leaf cutter for the palms I cut the little slits with a small scissors and attached them with piping gel, you could use a little water too. I opted not to do the trunks in a texture because I thought it looked fine without. I also added some coconuts icon_smile.gif I hope this helps icon_smile.gif

tippyad Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 6

Alright... I'm not an expert like sugarshack, but I've made palm trees w/ color flow so they stand up on the side of the cake. If you're wanting 3D, then try using large pretzel rods w/ dried fondant leaves attached on top w/ royal icing. Also don't limit yourself to icing. Use your imagination...fruit roll-ups, tootsie rolls, jelly beans, etc. can be transformed to make great decorations.

Tootall Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 6

I made some 3D palm trees for my safari cake icon_smile.gif it's in my pics if you'd like to take a look. I followed Wilton's instructions for their Amazing Amazon cake icon_smile.gif Pretty simple! I used pretzel rods for the trunks, a large leaf cutter with notches cut out (I used scissors) for the leaves. You attach them all with royal icing (First time using RI for me) All in all, they were nice and easy! You just have to let the leaves dry on a rounded form of some type. I don't have the store bought formers, so I used small bowls that had a nice rounded bottom to form mine icon_smile.gif

kellycat102938 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 6

Hi everyone, I apologise for not responding earlier. I couldn't figure out how to see my posts. Thanks for everyone's advice!
Kelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%