Help!....... My First Wedding Cake!

Decorating By bashini Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 8:22pm by alanahodgson

bashini Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:59am
post #1 of 10

Hi there, a bride asked me to do exactly the same cake that I have attatched. I wonder how am I going to get the colour? And please please give me lots of helpful tips.

Thanks in advance.
LL

9 replies
Starkie Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:15am
post #2 of 10

This cake looks like it has been sprayed with luster or pearl dust. Do you have access to an airbrush? You just put the luster/pearl dust in the bottle and mix it well with a little vodka or lemon juice, then spray directly onto the cake. It gives that plain Wilton blue color a great shimmer. HTH!

costumeczar Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:21am
post #3 of 10

The color is probably just a sky blue...It doesn't look like it's purple enough to be the cornflower blue. If you use a gel color you can get it that intense without much trouble.

Classycakes Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:26am
post #4 of 10

Yes, I agree. It looks like sky blue for the background. You could probably add a touch of navy blue in your sky blue icing to deepen the colour for the scroll work. Just add a tiny bit at a time til you get your colour.

Good luck. The cake is beautiful and I'm sure you'll do a fabulous job!

bashini Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:26am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for your replys. I was thinking it could be Teal colour. In wilton range they have Teal. Should I spray the dust first and then do the scroll work? Bit confused now.

peacockplace Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 10

Bakery craft makes a shimmer spray for your airbrush. I'd spray it first, let it dry, then do the scroll work. Love the cake!

bashini Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for all your help. peacockplace, I don't have a airbrush kit. I thought I would colour the fondant, cover the cakes and then spray it with PME Pearl lustre spray. They also have this Berry Blue colour spray. It might do the trick as well.

Oh hope I'm doing the write thing. I should make a trial cake.

Thanks again.

eilers Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 10

Hi Bashini, I love this cake ... it's gorgeous! I had a look at the last photo you posted, and the blue you used looks very much like the blue in this cake. I'm not sure about Wilton colours ... have never used them, but I agree with Classycakes, the scrollwork looks to be done in a darker blue, with some highlighted gold bits. If you're going to use the pearl spray, I'd probably apply it before doing the scrollwork. I love the peacock feathers on the top ... they bring all the colours of the cake together! Can't wait to see the finished cake ... good luck!

cake-angel Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 10

The gold dots look like gold dragees. As for color I would agree with everyone else. I would spray with pearl dust first and then pipe afterwards and add the dragees.

alanahodgson Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 10

I have the Wilton Teal color and I think that is what you're looking for. The cake color might be a mix of the teal with some sky blue, but I think that cake definately has some greenish undertones that the teal is going to provide for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%