Fondant Gets Sticky After Packaging - Help Please.

Baking By dessert1st Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 1:15pm by MichelleM77

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:52am
post #1 of 10

I decorate my sugar cookies with MMF and then add RI detailing. They look great but as soon as I put them in a covered container, or wrap them in cello bags the MMF gets very soft and sticky. Is it because my cookies are soft and not crispy ? I don't want to change my cookie recipe as I am happy with the taste. Do you have any tips to keep the MMF from getting soft and sticky? I have to cover them to keep them fresh, so what can I do?

Thanks so much!

9 replies
dessert1st Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:02am
post #2 of 10

I forgot to mention that I use a thin layer of RI under my MMF to "glue" it onto the cookie. Could that be what's causing my problem? I like the extra flavor that it adds. Thanks.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:18am
post #3 of 10

The moisture from the cookies is probably getting trapped in the bags and recirculating onto itself, so it makes the fondant soggy. I don't work with MMF, so I don't know what kind of texture it has, but anytime you enclose something that has moisture in an airtight environment there's going to be "wetness in the air" in there. Try to do some cookies and not seal them up until the last minute, and see how that works. Otherwise, you could skip the fondant and use royal icing by itself to decorate them. When I do sugar cookies I do one coat of royal icing first, let that dry, then I go back and do the details. My cookies aren't really soft, though, so that could be part of it, too. You'll just have to experiment to see what works best for you to get the result that you want, but the reason that they're getting sticky is the airtight bag they're in.

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:40am
post #4 of 10

I did some cookies at christmas time. My cookies were also soft and chewy and i covered them with fondant. After i applied the fondant i left them overnight to dry out with just a sheet of greaseproof paper over them to keep the dust off. I then sealed them in bags the next day for my son to hand out to his friends at school and i didn't have any problem at all. Hope this helps.

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 10

bump

dessert1st Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 10

They are perfectly dry and absolutely beautiful (IMHO - lol) when I put them in the bags (or covered containers), but in less than a day they turn sticky on me. It's so frustrating. I want to start taking wedding orders, etc. but I'm afraid I'm just not ready because I can't keep them "dry". icon_sad.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:10am
post #7 of 10

I think the problem is the extra royal icing. To stick the fondant on, you can just use a slightly moist brush of water to the back of the fondant to stick it on the cookie.

Then as previously suggested, don't seal the bags right away.

CINDY1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CINDY1956 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 4:23am
post #8 of 10

i also had the very same problem!!! Plus the same thing when I used the RBC and I have just started doing everything with Antonia Icing, and so far no problems!

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:12am
post #9 of 10

I had no idea you were supposed to use anything to stick the mmf on, LOL!

I'm not really a cookie person, so when I made a bunch of sugar cookies for halloween, I had a big pile of shapes cut ouf of mmf waiting (all separated by waxed paper), and just placed them as soon as the cookies came out of the oven. They melted a bit and stuck!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 10

I use Satin Ice fondant on my soft cookies and adhere it with a thin layer of royal icing. No problems with sogginess. I think it's the MMF, not the cookies or the royal icing. The only time I made it was a disaster and it was nothing but a greasy mess! Maybe try something other than MMF.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%