Cakes Sweating With Refrigeration

Decorating By pasquerto Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 12:27am by Kitagrl

pasquerto Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:43am
post #1 of 5

Hello all! First I just want to say thanks for all of the help over the past year I love this place! Anywhoo, I have a deal worked out with a kitchen where I can do my cakes on friday then pick them up saturday and deliver questions are
1-how do I properly keep it in the fridge overnight
2-what do i do to prevent or help with the sweating of the cake
3- if the location re-refrigerates it after delivery will this cause big problems?

4 replies
iamlis Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:48am
post #2 of 5

Can I just ask, do they HAVE to be refrigerated? A fondant cake will sweat-and if you use an airbrush it will majorly run-Just be careful, all that hard work! Youdon't want to get a call an hour before a party that the faces have melted away off a picture-Or the writing sweat and blurred! Good Luck!

milissasmom Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:55am
post #3 of 5

I refrigerate my cakes overnight all the time. Sometimes, depending on the size, I keep them in an airtight container/cake plates and stack in the morning if they need stacking OR if they can't fit, I just let them sit in the frige...if they are frosted, the cake is pretty much covered by the frosting and will not dry out overnight (that's been my experience). I have never had a refrigerated cake covered in fondant SWEAT...ONLY when frozen and thawed (just my experience). If they temporarily refrigerate it that should be fine as long as it is not for an extended amount of time UNCOVERED in a frige...You are good to go! HTH

pasquerto Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:18am
post #4 of 5

90% of my cakes are buttercream and white but I am just really paranoid because this is my first BIG season and things are going to be out of control! Thanks for the advice

Kitagrl Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:27am
post #5 of 5

I always refrigerate because its easier to transport. I've had them sweat but if you don't touch them, they eventually dry out again and are fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%