Wedding Cake Questions

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 6:26pm by indydebi

TheCakerator Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 9

Ok so looks like I have a wedding cake order coming up. The bride is wanting to come over next weekend, which is fine, but I have some questions for you experts. I am "pretty" sure she wants a round stacked cake. How many of you go by wiltons serving guides, and how many of you go by your own standards? How do you know what sizes to recommend if you really don't have any idea what size cake gives xx amount of servings?? We have been e mailing just a very few basic questions, I am waiting on her reply to how many guests she is planning on serving. Once I find out that information, will someone be able to help me look competent for next weekend?? Or can someone give me some pointers now? Thanks for ANY help!!

8 replies
CakeryBakery Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:26am
post #2 of 9

check out Earlene Moore's site. www. earlenescakes. com
http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

copy paste the link above. Very, very helpful.
Good Luck!

indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:08am
post #3 of 9

I use the wilton chart .... http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

I use this chart because (a) you get more money per cake (b) it's pretty much the industry standard (c) since I cut 95% of my wedding cakes myself, I can tell you for a fact that a number of people come up and ask for "... a smaller piece, please"

On cakes that I just drop off, I leave a print out that shows the size tiers in the cake and how many pieces they should get from each tier.

Here's a page from my website that shows you how I cut the cake to achieve these servings. Notice the cut pieces on the plates are pretty standard size pieces ... not "teeny tiny" like people think they are: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html

cakesnkids Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:38am
post #4 of 9

I also use Earlene's chart. I feel like I would rather give more cake than not enough...and well, I live where they like cake.
I take my pans out, and SHOW them what the things are going to look like, so they know, and let them know what size servings and all are expected for weddings.

JanH Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:00am
post #5 of 9
TheCakerator Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 9

Indydebi, I have been to your site and it is very useful. I did not know that you used the wilton serving guide because you don't cut your cakes the same way they recommended? I didn't know if you get more slices your way or the wilton way? Your way looks much easier to explain for the bride how to have her cake cut, but I just want to make sure I am making and recommending the right sizes for her!

indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 9

I actually get about 10% more pieces cutting it my way. The only thing I can figure is that when you cut the cake using "the dreaded" circle method, the pieces are ever so slightly flared. My method, the pieces are perfect rectangles ... no flare. If you trimmed that flare off of 100 pieces of cake, you'd get a few extra pieces.

10% means that on a 10" round, instead of getting 38 pieces, I get 41-42 pieces.

Feel free to link to that page and/or send your bride to that page to help them with the cake cutting.

TheCakerator Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 9

thanks I will print that off to give the bride ... how do you even start going about figuring out how many pieces a cake will serve? I asked the bride how many people she will be needing this cake to serve and she said 275. She wants a round bottom, square middle, and round top. I can add to or take away to get the right amount of servings. I asked her if she wanted to save the top tier for their one year anniversary and she said "either way" I have no idea where to start on such a large cake!! I'm very nervous!

indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 9

similar question and add'l responses can be found on this thread: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5861172.html#5861172

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%