Rolled Buttercream

Baking By amaniemom Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 6:44pm by cambo

amaniemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaniemom Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 7

For those of you that use this on your cookies, I have some questions.
Which recipe do you use?
How do you get it to stick on the cookies ( brush water on cookie or something)?
How does it taste compared to RI is it as sweet etc?
How long ahead of time would you put it on the cookie?
Is there a lot of effort to make?
What are the pros and cons that you have experience?
Sorry lots of questions.

6 replies
Happybug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happybug98 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:19am
post #2 of 7

Below is the recipe I use when making RBC. It is sweat like RI but you can flavor what ever your prefence is. I like the fact that with RBC it is soft when you bite into the cookie. As for applying it to the cookie I use Corn Syrup. You can either brush it on, use your finger or place in a plastic bottle if you do not like the mess. I usually apply my RBC after my cookie has cooled. I have heard of some people placing the RBC while it is hot and said that it has stuck that way. I have personally never tried it and would be very worried that the icing would not stay. As far as making the icing you have to have a heavy duty mixer with a dough hook. There is no way around this. Also it is more expensive to make than RI or Marshmallow Fondant(My new personal favorite).

1 C Karo (light corn syrup)
1 C Shortening (I prefer Crisco)
½ tsp Fine Salt (popcorn salt)- Walmart is the only place I have been able to find this.
½ tsp Extract of your choice (almond, lemon, orangeâ¦.your choice)
1 tsp Clear Vanilla Extract
2 lb Powdered Sugar

Cream together shortening and Karo. Add salt and flavorings and mix well. Switching to the dough hook on your HEAVY DUTY mixer, add sugar, one cup at a time until combined. Mixture will be extremely thick. Turn-out dough and knead using more powdered sugar if sticky â for at least 2 minutes.

Store in airtight container and/or Ziploc bag either at room temperature or the refrigerator.

If you see that the RBC seems oily after being in the Ziploc bag just add a small amount of Powdered sugar on your hands and knead it into the icing and that should help.

I hope this helps and Good Luck. icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:35am
post #3 of 7

Everything you ever wanted to know about Rolled Buttercream:
(Includes recipes not found in CC recipes sections and so much more.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-221681-.html

Highly rated RBC recipe from CC recipe section:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-0-Rolled-Buttercream-Icing-Recipe.html

HTH

candae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candae Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 7

Can someone please post a picture of cookies done with Rolled Buttercream icing?

Can you use cookie cutter to put the icing on? Is it like fondant?

amaniemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaniemom Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:09am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the info. I want to give that a try. I like working with RI but the thing is I sometimes find that crunch is scarey icon_surprised.gif , but I will definetly give this try.

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 7

I usually use RBC on my cookies. You can look at my pictures and see some. I love to use RBC...it's fun and fairly simple to use. People seem to like the taste better than RI. Give it a try...I bet you'll like it!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 7

I also use RBC on my cookies and LOVE it! It's super easy to make and tastes WAY better than royal icing! Although I love the finish royal icing gives on a finished cookie, I have never found a recipe that I like, therefore, I will not offer it to my customer! But, RBC is a great alternative!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%