I Hate The Wonder Mold Pan

Business By karateka Updated 27 Oct 2014 , 12:33am by PinkLotus

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 25

Every time I use this damn thing some tragedy strikes.

Almost every time the stupid thing overflows. Or it tests done and isn't. Or it falls.

Today it overflowed my oven, tested done after 50 min in the oven (from 3 different spaces in the stupid cake) but also fell in the center.

I trimmed it and turned it out and it collapsed in on itself into a misshapen pancake.

I sent my husband to the store for a cake mix since they seem to be the only thing that works in this stupid contraption. I'd rather eat dirt, but I have no choice at this point. What kills me is that I'm doing this at a greatly reduced rate for an old colleague. At least she'll understand me using a mix in this instance. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Now my oven smells like burnt trash, the pan is a wreck, I have to throw away a cake that took 8 egg yolks and a half pound of butter, and I have to miss a karate lesson to make the stupid thing AGAIN. icon_mad.gif

Just bitching. I really have had enough of this week. It can end any time it wants. Any time now....

24 replies
cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 25

That makes two of us! I just tried to bake one the other day for my frog cake....it also collapsed in on itself! SO, had to make several 8" rounds and carve the damn shape! NEVER again will I use that pan!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:38am
post #3 of 25

I've used that pan loads of times, only from scratch and NEVER had a problem, don't know whther I was just lucky or what. I use convestion and bake at a slighly lower temp than usual, and a bit longer, if it gets a bit dark on top, I just cover with aluminium foil, turns out everytime

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:55am
post #4 of 25

This is going to get me yelled at but...are you using the heat conductor contraption in the center, just wondering, Ihave heard that is the key, but it has been a long time since I have used that pan, I am sorry though! I hate when things go wrong like that it feels like one thing after another, usually that is how MY life goes! I feel for you!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:04am
post #5 of 25

Oh, yeah, I use the conductor.

And I have used it successfully, but it's a royal PITA. Always overflows, even though I use the recomm amount of batter. And I've thrown away plenty of them for collapsing. icon_mad.gif

cambo Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:43am
post #6 of 25

Me too.....I always use the center rod.....and I've only had success (maybe) 20% of the time. I'll just stick to making rounds and carving them! I can bake all of them and have them stacked and carved before the Wondermold even finishes baking!

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:54am
post #7 of 25

I only fill that pan about 1/2 way, if I need extra cake I add an 8" round under it.

I've been using it for years for the stupid doll cake, and it's never had a problem.

Also, if you find that your pan overflows, put it on a cookie sheet before you bake it.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 11:59am
post #8 of 25

I am not sure I like the pan either. I use a doctored mix and it baked through. But what i didnt like was the thick "crust" on the outside. I think I would rather just bake rounds and carve them.

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 12:04pm
post #9 of 25

You guys are making me nervous. I have to make one next week for the first time. I was looking forward to it but now I am not.

Kara

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 12:20pm
post #10 of 25

That is too weird!!! I have used that pan several times and have never had a problem.I bake it for about 1 hour and 10 minutes though..It does overflow a bit but I put foil underneath it.I have never had it cave in..Hmmmm.I wonder what is causing some of you to have problems!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 12:51pm
post #11 of 25

If your cake is overflowing in the pan that is most likely why you are getting a collapsing cake. When it overflows it loses the structure (the top of the cake) that makes it stable. Without the top the structure inside the cake becomes very unstable and will sink back in on itself. Try only filling it 1/2 - 2/3 full next time. I have baked a scratch cake in this pan with no issues, but I only filled it like I would fill for a cupcake.. it was fine. If you are worries about it not being tall enough.. do what The Butter Wench does and bake the extra batter into an 8" cake pan and stack them. icon_smile.gif HTH's a bit.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 12:57pm
post #12 of 25

I have a doll cake due this weekend, I used the wonder mold pan for the first time this past Saturday. I used a scratch cake and it baked up just fine except just a little dip in the center about the size of a quarter. It does have a crust that is kind of thick and I was also thinking there would be cake with not too much icing. Has anyone ever torted a wonder mold cake? I think children like a little more icing on their cake.

FromScratch Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:11pm
post #13 of 25

You can most definitely torte it. It helps to score down the side before you torte it so you can line it up exactly when you are done. icon_smile.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:13pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

You can most definitely torte it. It helps to score down the side before you torte it so you can line it up exactly when you are done. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the tip.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:19pm
post #15 of 25

I have used it a few times and each time it takes forever to cook and it falls in the middle too. I only fill 2/3 the way. I have also use the Pampered Chef batter bowl which is a little wider and that came out great onece and bad 4 times. I ended up using 6" and the ball pan. But I do like the shape of the wondermold. I also like to tort them because I like the icing in between the layers. It hold up fine after you put the doll in or dowels. That is the one think I hate about any shaped pans, they don't cook in the middle, sink and crust hard or burn on the outside. I even cover with foil toward the end.

cerobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerobs Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:24pm
post #16 of 25

I have two doll cake this weekend. So please give some good advice about baking and making this dress with mmf. thanks
LL

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:31pm
post #17 of 25

Suebee, I had the same disaster with the Pampered Chef bowl! I only bought it because I had to buy SOMETHING at my friend's party (I HATE home parties like that!!) I tried at least 4 times to make it work a long time ago. Your post brought back those horrrible memories! Oh the frustration!!! I wish I could help offer a solution, but I can't--sorry!!

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:47pm
post #18 of 25

I haven't had any problems with the wonder mold pan. I've had mine for a while and when I bake with it the center rod needs to be in place. This is a metal tube that fits over the center nut.
I do make and use my own pan coat.
I fill it halfway and bake on 325 F.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 9:51pm
post #19 of 25

if you are gonna torte it anyway....why not use 8 inch rounds and do a little carving?

thats how i do mine...i don't have a wonder pan

cambo Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:03pm
post #20 of 25

Yeah, the center heating rod/core never really made a difference for me and I used it every single time.

FromScratch Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:08pm
post #21 of 25

Eventhough I have the wonder mold.. I'd do what littlecake suggested and just carve three 8" cakes into the shape.. The cake in the wondermold pan always seems to get overdone on the outside anyway. I haven't used it in a long time.. a couple years.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:15pm
post #22 of 25

I have made doll cakes using the wonder mold many times and have never had a problem. I lost the conductor for the middle and just bake mine at 325 degrees. I have only used box mixes (OMG...don't flame me) as I seldom bake from scratch. You might try using a different brand of mix.

Diane

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:43pm
post #23 of 25

I had a doll cake this past jan. but didn't want to buy the doll pan so i used a bunt pan along with two 8in cakes and it worked out fabulous!! and actually i liked the fuller skirt look. I guess if i wanted something tampered i could always do some carving. but yeah i feel your pain. hope things get better!

chris

ConniM1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConniM1 Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 3:50pm
post #24 of 25

You are OVER FILLING the pan which is the reason for the over flow. I've used this tons of times for many different Cakes and I never have a problem with it no matter if I make a Scratch or Mix Cake. I LOVE this pan!

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 12:33am
post #25 of 25

A

Original message sent by ConniM1

You are OVER FILLING the pan which is the reason for the over flow. I've used this tons of times for many different Cakes and I never have a problem with it no matter if I make a Scratch or Mix Cake. I LOVE this pan!

This is a 6.5 year old thread...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%