Working With Cake Charms...

Decorating By sambugjoebear Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 12:18pm by sambugjoebear

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 5

My SIL asked me to make a bridal shower cake for one of her friends. Someone donated cake charms to be added since it was a family tradition thing. Ok. I get that. How difficult is it to ice around the ribbons that are supposed to be sticking out of the sides? The charms are really cute and attached to white ribbon. Apparently I'm supposed to place them in between the layers and then decorate. At the party the bridesmaids are supposed to pull out the charms and that gives them a clue as to their future.

4 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 5

I've never done it, but i remember reading that a member here, maybe indydebi?, iced the cake as usual and then gently pushed the charms in with a skewer or something.

cakesnkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnkids Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:39am
post #3 of 5

Yes, just lay them down, and push them in with a spatula, and repair the icing is what I do. I've seen some lay them on the other teir and stack, but I can't get them right that way. I ALWAYS put them in the back, b/c I have only done them in wedding cakes, and if you place them all in the back, then it photographs well when they pull.

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 5

I made one a few months ago. I decorated each layer first. Layed the ribbons on top of the layer and then put the other tier on top. Then you can pipe around the bottom of the tier. You can search the web for directions on charm cakes. That's what I did and that's what the direction implied to do.

Good luck and post a picture when done.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the replies! Hopefully I won't screw up too terribly trying to push them in.. lol. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%