How Do I Get The Wilton Castle Towers To Stand ?

Decorating By danielaxoo Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 5:26am by MissLady85

danielaxoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danielaxoo Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 8

I'm wanting to do a cake castle for the first time, I bought the wilton set ,but how do I get the tower's on the outter sides of castle to stand without falling?

any and all suggestion's would truely be appreciated.
thank you's.

7 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 8

If I remember correctly from posts long ago, most people had better success by drilling a hole in the bottom of the plastic towers and using dowels to stabelize all of the towers...

HTH,
Pat

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 8

I used the Wilton set in the castle cake in my pictures. I coved them all with fondant so they didnt look so plastic. Anway, I think the turrets would have been nicer if the were hollow on the bottom so you could just stick them in the cake like plastic dowels, but the are not so I used a melon baller to hollow out a hole in the cake tiers where each one would go. The previous post sounds much easier! For the turrets around the outside of cake I just put some buttercream up the side of the cake and attached the turrets to that. It held up fine. You could use Royal Icing too.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 8

thats what I did,the first one I made I dug holes in the cake for the towers..but my second castle cake I drilled the holes and secured dowels with hot glue and it worked perfectlly.......they were nice and sturdy!! I delivered the cake fully assembled minus the turrets and not one even leaned.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:41am
post #5 of 8

just made this cake last week for my daughters birthday. I didn't have any problems. The outer towers I piped buttercream under the bottom of each and along the back of the tower that touched that layer of the cake. Then piped leaves around the base of the tower and added the flowers I moved it several times and had no problems. The upper layer towers they tell you to insert a dowel and then sink the tower about an inch into the cake. I used the plastic hollow cake supports from wilton and went about 1 and 1/2 inches into the cake. Just filled the rest of the tube with icing and a big glob for the tower to stick to. also piped border around the bottom of the tower for extra support. GOOD Luck. My daugher absolutely loved it.

danielaxoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danielaxoo Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:01am
post #6 of 8

Thank you all very much, your advice is a great help,

now I can try to make one with less worry ,

truely appreciated thank you's and god bless.

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:23am
post #7 of 8

read the instructions.. it reccomends using white chocolate to help glue the pieces on, and we rolled the turrets in royal icing and colored sugar to make them sparkely.. I think it's in my photos?

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:26am
post #8 of 8

I read that someone on here took a saw and cut the bottom off so it would be hollow... just an idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%