Premade Cake Icing

Decorating By CakeMakerJen Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 7:44pm by all4cake

CakeMakerJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakerJen Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 17

I'm fairly new to cake decorating, i really want to spend some time on decorating and not frosting making, is there any good sites i could buy premade frosting from. I was hoping you expecerts would know of some. THANKS!

-Jennifer

16 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 17

Sam's Club sells buttercream by the bucket that I use a lot. Easy to smooth and decorate with. Thanh Thanh says she uses it too, and her cakes are amazing.

Deanna

CakeMakerJen Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

Sam's Club sells buttercream by the bucket that I use a lot. Easy to smooth and decorate with. Thanh Thanh says she uses it too, and her cakes are amazing.

Deanna

Great to know! I have costco memebership i know they sell them by the buckets too, is there any differece? Or should i stick to the Sam's?

TooMuchCake Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 17

I'm not sure about Costco. I only have the Sam's membership. I don't recall anybody mentioning the Costco icing but that doesn't mean anything. LOL Maybe somebody that uses Costco icing can let us know?

Deanna

lordbuffington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lordbuffington Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 17

Do either of you guys know how much the Sam's tub 'o frosting costs? Do you like the taste OK? It would save me a lot of time and ingredients while I'm still in my infancy stage of learning cakes!

Andrea

CakeMakerJen Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbuffington

Do either of you guys know how much the Sam's tub 'o frosting costs? Do you like the taste OK? It would save me a lot of time and ingredients while I'm still in my infancy stage of learning cakes!

Andrea

Yeah i don't know myself. my mother in law has a membership so we will go there tomorrow. if no one post i will let you know tomorrow. Cant find it on there website.

TooMuchCake Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 17

It's $26.56 for a 28 pound bucket. I like it. The convenience of having icing ready whenever I am means a lot to me. When I switched over, my customers didn't seem to notice or at least haven't mentioned it. If I want to oomph it up, I put it in the mixer and add some flavorings to it.

Deanna

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:07am
post #8 of 17

I did not know about Sam's big tub of frostings. I like to make my own buttercream but this would be so great for when I'm in a pinch and need a lot of frosting. Thanks!

lordbuffington Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:41am
post #9 of 17

TooMuchCake - I went to my Sam's tonight - and I admit I was in a big hurry - but I didn't see any tub O frosting! Where does your Sam's keep theirs? I looked in the baking aisle and I ran over to the bakery. It was past 7pm and I was meeting some friends so I didn't wait and ask any employees. Anyway - I HOPE my Sam's has it! Do you suppose it's possible they don't?

Andrea

CakeMakerJen Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:45am
post #10 of 17

Yeah you have to ask for it behind the bakery counter. Its not out on the shelves. I just got some yesterday.

TooMuchCake Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:51am
post #11 of 17

Yes, you have to ask for it. They keep it in the back.

Deanna

lordbuffington Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:14pm
post #12 of 17

Thank you both! I guess I'll head back there today. I am going to leave work early to get a head start on my cake!!

BROOKSIE007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BROOKSIE007 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 17

Wilton makes a good icing in a tub. You can get it at a Michaels art and crafts store. icon_lol.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:21pm
post #14 of 17

Several months ago, there was a thread and members posted stating that although Costco has there icing in buckets on the sales floor, they were told it wasn't for sale. It was where they kept their stock...on pallets, near the bakery, ON THE SALES FLOOR but it was not for sale.

Did Costco change their position and begin selling it?

Sam's Club also sells their buckets of Rich's Bettercreme(prewhipped)...less than 18.00 for a 5 gallon bucket....the cases of colored prewhipped bettercreme is around 15.00(but you have to buy a case of one color...no mixing and matching)...

the small buckets of colored buttercream at Sam's is less than 10.00...prices vary depending on color but still, any one color is less than 10.00.

PP already stated price of 5 gallon bucket of buttercream.

chocolate in either bettercream or buttercream may be slightly higher.

Some Clubs request that you pre-order your icing.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:24pm
post #15 of 17

I'ce heard the Costco icing is good, does anyone know how much it is?

carolbby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolbby Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:41pm
post #16 of 17

I think nothing beats the home made Buttercream. I usually spend some time making several batches and freeze for later.
HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:44pm
post #17 of 17

oof! I just called one of the Costcos near me....requested to speak with someone in the bakery..."um...ma'am, they don't take calls in the bakery. Is there something I can help you with?" Do ya'll sell buckets of icing?
"buckets of icing? uh, no...have you ever heard of that?(talking to someone else near her) uh, no, we don't." okay, thank you buh bye.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%