Can You Help Me Improve This Abby Cadabby Cake?

Decorating By Moniquea Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 5:01am by bwonderful

Moniquea Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 11

I spent untold hours making the mmf, coloring it and molding the centerpiece but felt the rest of the cake was lacking. At the last minute I saw the glitter on a cake on this site and used it on mine but I still wish I had a background that pulled the cake a bit more 'together' icon_confused.gif If you know what I mean...

I'm still really new and my piping skills are just developing so I held back in case what I did was too busy or shaky and took away from the centerpiece.

What would you suggest/have done as a backdrop? icon_biggrin.gif Thanks!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
funbun Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 11

First off your Abby Cadabby is awesome!!! I love it! icon_biggrin.gif

The only change I would make would be to add a second border in pink to ehco the pink and yellow in the frame of Abby. If you were unsure of piping a second border maybe just pipe a thin string of icing in a zig zag pattern over the yellow border.

I still think you did a great job and the glitter was a great idea! thumbs_up.gif

all4cake Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 11

You could add some stars or icing streamers radiating from the center to the edge or butterflies or those asterisk looking designs for some added "twinkle"....

drgaddy Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 11

I am sorry, but no tips from me...I LOVE IT the way it is. You've done an awesom job on Abby!!! thumbs_up.gif

all4cake Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 11

Don't misunderstand me, I, too, think your cake looks great. I was just giving suggestions as to what could've been added to the blank areas.

Happy Birthday _______ in a circular pattern at top and bottom in a contrasting color would've tied it all together...maybe purple?

iamlis Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 11

I honestly think that is the MOST amazing ABBY i have seen, I made an abby cake out of color flow-it broke a hundred times! I remade her so many times that I know every detail of that girl! I LOVE YOURS!

Moniquea Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you all! I like the asterisk and streamer ideas icon_lol.gif And the pink lines over the yellow really would've improved the border icon_smile.gif

I remembered after this post I'd made mmf butterflys and flowers on wire but when I put them on I hated the way it looked on the sheet cake. So I filled the wholes with frosting and covered with more glitter icon_razz.gif

I love these ideas for the blank areas! Keep'm coming thumbs_up.gif

mcalhoun Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 11

I think your Abby is awesome I love the sparkles on the cake and they are so Abby! I don't think I would add anything because keep in mind they will be putting candles on the cake. Sometimes I make a little fondant something for them to stick the candle into on the cake. I don't know how you did her ponytails but I am thinking maybe do something like that as a base for the candle. Please let me know how you did those cute ponytails! And keep us informed on what you decide. Again the cake is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moniquea Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 11

Sure, I made the ponytails like the rest of the thin details. I rolled a small piece of mmf into a thin rope and made the ends thinner so they'd have a point. Then using the desert plate as a template I did my best to copy the size and colors (they turned out a little smaller but no worries icon_smile.gif ). And when I'd finished layering them all I covered the bottoms with the flowers.

She was so much fun icon_smile.gif

I was also thinking that tinting the cake a light blue instead of white could've looked nice...sigh, too late now but in all it was nice --and with all your wonderful comments I feel like a star icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:49am
post #10 of 11

I think it's great. I like the white background and the glitter. You did a great job on Abby, she looks like she could fly right out of the picture!

I think maybe some purple or lavender flowers scattered in the white area would have been neat...but I always get too carried away and add stuff to my cakes till there is no space left.

bwonderful Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:01am
post #11 of 11

I think it's great! You did a great job on your Abby and the pink boa around the edge is such a cute touch!

The only thing I can think of adding was possibly the birthday girl's name in that weird font they use for Abby. Can you tell I had a toddler and preschooler? I know about the Abby font. Oh how life has changed.... icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%