How Long Can I Store Royal Icing?

Decorating By Melan Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 6:38pm by deanwithana

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 7

How long will Royal Icing store, safely, if put in an air tight container? I use the recipe with meringue powder, sugar and water. I made a batch on Feb 22. I saved it and need more next week, that will make it nearly 5 weeks old. It has been in an air tight container. I don't ever use much at a time so I hate to make a batch and then throw more than half of it away. Maybe I should make a smaller batch?! icon_redface.gif

6 replies
Melan Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 7

Can anyone help me with this? I would greatly appreciate it! icon_biggrin.gif

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 7

Not sure what the food-safe answer is. When I make it to teach my Wilton students, I usually save that batch and use it for the course. I know sugar acts as a preservative, but I am just not sure how long it will last.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 7

Wilton tells you that it can be stored in an air tight container, unrefrigerated for 2 weeks - needing to be re-mixed prior to use. I read here on posts that it can be frozen for months - thawed and re-mixed. I didn't beleive it but I tried it and it worked fine. Hope that helps you.
thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 7

Five weeks is too long..Even after 5 days the consistency of your RI changes. It tends to melt more, Even though is still good in taste. The quality of some things will decrease. I use it for more for petunias and other details that dont need a stiffer consistency.
Hope this helps,
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Melan Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 7

great! Thanks for the info! I'll just make half a batch this time around!

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 7

About 2 weeks unrefrigerated.............

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%