Help With An Ice Cream Float Cake??

Decorating By aaversa Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 4:54pm by Bellatheball

aaversa Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 5

Hello-
Iâve been asked to make an ice cream float cake icon_eek.gif and some record cakes to go along with it. The party is for a womanâsâ 60th birthday and itâs a 50âs theme. So I have a couple of questions.

1.How would you go about making a cake that looks like the picture below?
2.How many cakes total would I need to make to serve about 60 people? I was planning on making one float cake and additional record cakes, I'm justnot sure how many records I'll need.

I was thinking I could make some 8â and 6â cakes for the float but Iâm not sure if theyâll hold up structurally??? icon_surprised.gif

Thanks in advance â Alexis
LL

4 replies
lovinkakes Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 5

Hi aaversa

You should have no problem getting the 60 servings you need with a couple of satellite record cakes. A two-layer 8" will serve 24, 6" will serve 12.

The float isn't really that difficult if you just want the "idea" of a float. Don't go for perfection! Plan to carve several layers into a sustainable shape, use dowels, or even carve a dummy cake using styrofoam. Buttercream of fondant can be used for the outside.

Good luck!

aaversa Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:12am
post #3 of 5

Thanks lovinkakes for the info. I have decided to make the float cake two 8" cakes carved and covered in fondant. Then make two 10" cakes on the side.

My new question is; what color would you expect the fondant on the outside of the float cake to be? Silver/luster dusted to resemble stainless steel cup? Colored to represent a plastic cup?

any thoughts on this are appreciated. icon_smile.gif

aaversa Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 5

anyone?? what would you make the outside of the float look like?

Bellatheball Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 5

I've seen a few cakes in the gallery here that have very realistic wine bottles made from sugar. They almost have that transparent look to them. Maybe you can track down the baker and see how to do it? Sorry I'm not much help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%