How Much Would You Charge?

Decorating By thin4life Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 5:57am by JoanneK

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 7

How much would you charge for this cake? I live in Madison, WI.
LL

6 replies
loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,

Well, it is baked with one of those Betty Crocker typed pans, right? As long as the batter didnt require a ton of work beyond dyeing it different colors and maybe adding a drop or two of flavoring... it's not a hugely fancy cake. I would personally just charge my $2.50 per serving. Hard to tell the size, but this looks like maybe a 25 serving cake, so $50.

Attached is my home and hobby pricing matrix. You can use that to determine servings and your own price for ingredients. If you had to buy that special pan, I would charge a dollar or two more to cover the cost for the next 20 or so cakes until it pays for itself. That's just how I do it... not how other people may do it. Good luck! It's a cute cake icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 7

The only thing I would add to the above is to take into account this is a 3-layer cake instead of the standard 2-layer cake. It's 50% bigger. 50% more cake batter, more icing, more baking time, more pans to wash.

So if we use an 8" cake as an example ..... An 8" cake serves 24 per the Wilton Chart (which is what I go by), based on 1x2x4" pieces. This cake, when cut, would yield 1x2x6" pieces ..... 50% more cake = 50% more price.

24 servings x $3/servings = $72 + another 50% since it's 3-layer ($36) = $108.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 2:04am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

The only thing I would add to the above is to take into account this is a 3-layer cake instead of the standard 2-layer cake. It's 50% bigger. 50% more cake batter, more icing, more baking time, more pans to wash.

So if we use an 8" cake as an example ..... An 8" cake serves 24 per the Wilton Chart (which is what I go by), based on 1x2x4" pieces. This cake, when cut, would yield 1x2x6" pieces ..... 50% more cake = 50% more price.

24 servings x $3/servings = $72 + another 50% since it's 3-layer ($36) = $108.

I agree

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:23am
post #5 of 7

I just saw that cake on the wilton site, and it says to use three cake mixes for that pan, that will be one big cake.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:47am
post #6 of 7

I would charge $2.50 per serving

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 5:57am
post #7 of 7

I've never used those pans. How do they work to get them to look like that? Are they hard?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%