Any Tips On Painting On Fondant...

Decorating By jennygirl927 Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 6:37pm by Cookies4kids

jennygirl927 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 21

I am making a tiered cake for cousins baby shower and would love to paint flowers on mmf any suggestions or how to would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank You!! icon_biggrin.gif

20 replies
christielee Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:41pm
post #2 of 21

Mix your gel colors with a little vodka, and it should be fine. I also use airbrush colors directly if you have that!

christie thumbs_up.gif

Donnagardner Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 21

When painting on fondant with a brush or air brush does the paint stain the mouth of the person eating it?

ChefAngie Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 21

By letting the cake sit overnight-you have a firm canvas to paint on the next day. I like the food writers and using my airbrush and stencils. The paint does not stain the mouth of the person eating it.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

KHalstead Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 21

I love to paint on fondant although I don't always have the time to tinker with it as much as I'd like too. I use americolor gels right out of the bottle they're almost exactlly the same consistency as acrylic paints...If I want more of a water color paint then I use airbrush colors. Neither one will stain the mouths of the people eating it unless you gob it on. I'll include a couple photos where I've used really is a great medium.
Oh and in case you're wondering....everything I've painted has dried in at least 10 min. and once it's dry it's not tacky to the touch can run your fingers across it and it doesn't smear or feel sticky at all!

Donnagardner Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 21

Wow, thanks for the information. Your work is beautiful.

gandelmom Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 21

WOW KHALSTEAD!! You are an artist!!!!! Beautiful work! I've got to try this!

Omicake Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 21

Beautiful work, KHalstead ! Leaves so real looking and those lovely cookies with flowers !

peacockplace Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:42pm
post #9 of 21

icon_surprised.gif Oh my... those are amazing!!!! You have lots of talent!!!

oilili Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:50pm
post #10 of 21

I am so happy to read this post because I was told recently that I should only use powder food colours to paint on fondant!!!

vtjilly Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 21

KHalstead your paintings are gorgeous!!

jennygirl927 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 1:07pm
post #12 of 21

thanks so much for your you use stencils when painting or free hand?

ChefAngie Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 2:16pm
post #13 of 21

I use the stencils for painting and freehand.

ruthi Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 6:35pm
post #14 of 21

What consistency is the paint supposed to be? I tried painting with gel colors and it was streaking and not solid coloring, so I tried adding white gel to make it more opaque, and ended up with caked on color that has cracks and separation in it. Although the cake design is pretty, the painting technique is awful and I want to know what I am doing wrong. How do you get solid color without streaking, especially in a large painted area?

LovelyCreations Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 9:35pm
post #15 of 21

I have the very same question ruthi! I tried painting fondant last night with the gel colors and had the same results...was much prettier before I started painting! How else can you "paint" fondant if you don't have an airbrush???

LovelyCreations Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:46pm
post #16 of 21

Just a little bump....any help/suggestions would be appreciated! icon_smile.gif

nesweetcake Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:28am
post #17 of 21

Wow! Great question. Also KHalstead. Did you airbrush the cookies then paint on details with brush or just brush paint. Did you use stencils or free hand the flower cookies and pansies?

CakeDiva73 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:42am
post #18 of 21

When I paint on fondant, I use airbrush colors - not the airbrush itself. Sometimes it's a little thick/sticky so I dilute with vodka.

At first I was under the impression I needed to use petal dust with vodka but I didn't have any and it was too expensive (and sort of a pain) and then I realized I had a box of airbrush color. It doesn't change the taste or anything and it has a really good consistency.

Khalstead ~ holy crap, your cookies are amazing!

hwnhulahands Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 12:52am
post #19 of 21

thanks for all the great info

CranberryClo Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:00am
post #20 of 21

I have painted on fondant several times and I just use color gels thinned (or not) with vodka.

I have a huge array of paintbrushes and I'm sure I'm using each and every one incorrectly, but the whole thing is a lot of fun! If you look in my pics, there should be one in the top row - it's two tiers and has purple/fuschia/yellow flowers on it. It's no Monet, but it matched the invite well.

Now, if only Michael's was still offering painting classes, I'd be fantastic!

Cookies4kids Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:37pm
post #21 of 21

All my life I painted on wood for a living using acrylic paints and stencils that I bought or made myself. I am having the time of my life using the same techniques on cookies and fondant. For stenciling you want a soft stencil brush--the softer the better as too stiff will make marks in the fondant. I put some of my petal dust color in the cover and rub the stencil brush in that. Then I pounce the brush on a piece of paper toweling to take off the excess. Press the stencil just a tad into the fondant and pounce your brush on the area you want to color giving it a light coat of color. Now reapply the dust and do just the outside edge with a smaller brush to give the contrast you need. I use a black food writer pen to outline the areas and add detail. I just finished some large round cookies with spring flower sprays on them and they were so pretty. I don't know much about computrs so can't post the pics.
Another way for stencil or freehand paint is to use melted cocoa butter and mix in petal dust for the desired color. Use the same technique as above for stenciling or just freehand. If your color bleeds under the stencil, you have too much paint on your brush.
Hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%