Cake Design And Sizing Questions...

Decorating By amberlicious Updated 18 Mar 2008 , 11:53am by kakeladi

amberlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlicious Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:06am
post #1 of 2

My sister has asked me to make a cake similar to this one
http://weddings.theknot.com/gallery/gallery_details_pop.aspx?gallery=18&itemnumber=14
and I'm starting to freak out. I don't know if I can do it. We're doing orchids rather then butterflies (and they're all done) but the black fondant stripy/'roads'- how would you do those?

I'm baking the cake and then traveling 5 hours with it- and then the wedding isn't for 2 more days.

I'm thinking about assembling the cake- doing the 'roads' as continuous pieces and then cutting them at the joints (since the border will cover that right?) Then dis-assembling and boxing up to take down to the wedding. Any other ideas?

I'm having a hard time envisioning how to cut them originally to get them to fit. Would you make a pattern out of waxed paper or something?

I've only done a couple wedding cakes and they've all been the same size (14/10/6) and I thought that 4" differences were pretty standard between tiers. But those tiers look closer to the same size- would 14/12/10/8 look weird?

I'm feeling overwhelmed and like I bit off more then I could chew (I'm also doing a dessert buffet for 500). Talk me down!

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 11:53am
post #2 of 2

<...I'm thinking about assembling the cake- doing the 'roads' as continuous pieces and then cutting them at the joints (since the border will cover that right?) Then dis-assembling and boxing up to take down to the wedding. Any other ideas? ....>

That's a beautiful cakeicon_smile.gif The 'roads' vary in width so your idea is not necessary. You can do each tier of cake on it's own. Just be sure when you put it together you line the 'roads' up.

<...Would you make a pattern out of waxed paper or something? ...>
Yes, I would. Makes it easier. Use a pizza cutter for cutting them out.

<...I thought that 4" differences were pretty standard between tiers. But those tiers look closer to the same size- would 14/12/10/8 look weird?...>

No, the 14, 12, 10. 8 won't look weird. Many cakes are like that now adays icon_smile.gif I personeally don't care for it - I think it makes it much harder to put a cake together but this design almost begs for the closeness.

You certainly did take on a **HUGE** task. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%