Scratch Bakers: Post Best Recipes!!! Part Ii (After Crash!)

Baking By ceshell Updated 10 May 2010 , 5:52pm by Tor1985

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:50am
post #91 of 142

great thread..

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:02pm
post #92 of 142

Is anyone else NOT getting emails on this thread???

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 10:01pm
post #93 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by en-passant

It basically starts with:

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
4 eggs

...Hence the 1-2-3-4.

I seen recipes with 3 eggs, or 2½ C flour, or 1 3/4 C sugar, or whatever. They're all just variations on the theme.

the bakerella yellow cake i baked on sunday was this - never heard of 1-2-3-4 reference before... but ive only started to scratch bake

this sundays cake im going to try out the Cakeman Raven's RV cake - ive never even seen a RV cake before so should be interesting

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 10:23pm
post #94 of 142

I'm just starting to try scratch recipes for the first time.

I'm looking for a moist white cake recipe that I could also use as a base for other flavors such as almond or coconut or lemon. I would like the cake to be stable enough for stacking and carving.
icon_rolleyes.gif

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 10:24pm
post #95 of 142

Added to my last post.

So far I've tried Betty Crocker and Confetti Cakes.

Mrs-A Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:24am
post #96 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaleAZ

I made Cakeman Raven's RV cake this weekend and it was so good. Best RV cake I've tasted.

do you always use cream cheese frosting with RV cakes???

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:23am
post #97 of 142

Hi Mrs-A,

Im sorry, but I cant help much with your question. Ive only made a couple RV cake and due to the cakes sitting out for long periods of time I had to use BC icing. But, in my limited experience most people do prefer cream cheese with Red Velvet and Carrot Cake.

My sons getting married in April and his fiancée has requested one of the tiers to her cake be RV (her very favorite cake flavor), so Ive been making RV cakes all weekend (4 or 5 of them so far, I even did Roses RV twice with some adjustments), and I still have two recipes to go. But, I havent put frosting on any of them, because I didnt want it to mask any of the flavors to the cake. Unfortunately, even for my FDIL cake Im once again not able to use cream cheese frosting, because I have to drive 6 hours to the venue in the hot Arizona heat.

Tammy

noahsmummy Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 10:12am
post #98 of 142

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2185/dark-chocolate-cake

this is a great chocolate cake posted by chocomama. i made it the other day, rose well, carved well.. everything great. except it didnt have the richest choc. flavour. =( so i was abit dissapointed there.. apart from that it was great tho!

i love this thread.. i hate baking from boxes.. i always feel like ive cheated.. and anyway..its cheaper from scratch here. =)

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 12:15pm
post #99 of 142

This is one of my favorites, I believe I got it from All Recipes dot com.

WHITE CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE

6 eggs
3 c. sifted cake flour
1/4 lb. white chocolate
2 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. milk
1 c. shortening
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. hot water
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix shortening and sugar beat well. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each egg. Melt chocolate in top of a double boiler. Cool. Add to sugar mixture and add flour and milk alternately flour added first or last. Add vanilla. Bake at 300 degrees in a tube pan for 1 1/4 hours or test for doneness.

Of course, you can use any pan for this. I've used all sizes. I just use flower nails and keep an eye on it.

[edited for addition]

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:19pm
post #100 of 142

Can I use butter instead of shortening for the White Chocolate Pound Cake?

glendaleAZ Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:55pm
post #101 of 142

Does anyone have a recipe for a really great sponge cake? I've never tasted one and I'd like to try it out. I've seen Buddy on Cake Boss using that type of cake and wondered what it tasted like.

noahsmummy Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:51am
post #102 of 142

does anyone know any good gluten free from scratch cakes?

TIA

Mrs-A Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:07am
post #103 of 142
Quote:

Does anyone have a recipe for a really great sponge cake? I've never tasted one and I'd like to try it out. I've seen Buddy on using that type of cake and wondered what it tasted like.

sponge cake is quite the norm for aussies and i made this about 3 weeks ago and it turned out very yummy

4 eggs
3/4 cup caster sugar (fine sugar)
2/3 cup wheaten cornflour
1/4 cup custard powder
1 teaspoon cream of tatar
1/2 teaspoon bicrabonate of soda (you call this baking soda)

for the middle of the cake
1/3 cup apricot jam (i think you call this jelly)
300ml thickend cream whipped

preheat oven to 180/160C fan forced
grease and flour 2 deep round pans, shake away excess flour
beat eggs and sugar in bowl until mixture is thick and creamy and sugar is disolved
triple shift dry ingredients
fold into egg mixture - do not over mix!
divide sponge mixture between pans
bake for about 20mins
turn sponges onto wire rack to cool
sandwhich sponges with jam and cream

i cant stress enough not to mix the mixture too much when you are adding the dry ingredients - you need to keep the cake as light and fluffy as possible

anyone here ever heard of aussie Lamingtons? i havent made these for ages but i might have to drag out the recipe

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:08am
post #104 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

TIA

OH YEAH.

See this thread: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=522883

Two things: on p1 ellantehalima posts a GF version of Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake which is quite good. On p2 (and 3) I post my own experiences taste-testing the AllRecipes GF Yellow Cake (and the chocolate variation of the same recipe).

All three are very good GF "cake" cakes meaning they have the same consistency as normal cake. I think I put in that thread that I did use Thai Rice flour (which is different from regular or sweet rice flour) per an AllRecipes reviewer and I have no idea if that's why it was so good. I live near metropolitan Los Angeles so it was not hard to get hold of some of that stuff. It can be found on the internet for pretty cheap, but then shipping will kill you.

My surfin' santa cake is the GF yellow cake and I kid you not, not a single person at the party had any idea it was GF. The yellow cake is best paired with a buttery filling like caramel--or a buttery icing like IMBC-- to replace the missing butter flavor in the recipe.

Also mentioned in that thread is that you can always make a proper "flourless chocolate cake" - a decadent recipe with the most intense, delicious chocolate flavor. That one was a hit too and you know what, if you try real hard you can decorate it too. Just keep in mind it's a very flat cake (I torted mine and filled it and added ganache on top, all just to give it height.)

I think I wrote all of this stuff on that thread, sorry for any repeated info icon_redface.gif

noahsmummy Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:22am
post #105 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

TIA

OH YEAH.

See this thread: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=522883

Two things: on p1 ellantehalima posts a GF version of Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake which is quite good. On p2 (and 3) I post my own experiences taste-testing the AllRecipes GF Yellow Cake (and the chocolate variation of the same recipe).

All three are very good GF "cake" cakes meaning they have the same consistency as normal cake. I think I put in that thread that I did use Thai Rice flour (which is different from regular or sweet rice flour) per an AllRecipes reviewer and I have no idea if that's why it was so good. I live near metropolitan Los Angeles so it was not hard to get hold of some of that stuff. It can be found on the internet for pretty cheap, but then shipping will kill you.

My surfin' santa cake is the GF yellow cake and I kid you not, not a single person at the party had any idea it was GF. The yellow cake is best paired with a buttery filling like caramel--or a buttery icing like IMBC-- to replace the missing butter flavor in the recipe.

Also mentioned in that thread is that you can always make a proper "flourless chocolate cake" - a decadent recipe with the most intense, delicious chocolate flavor. That one was a hit too and you know what, if you try real hard you can decorate it too. Just keep in mind it's a very flat cake (I torted mine and filled it and added ganache on top, all just to give it height.)

I think I wrote all of this stuff on that thread, sorry for any repeated info icon_redface.gif

thankyou so so much!! icon_biggrin.gif i just got asked to do a gluten free cake. not until august mind you.. but they wanted to do a tasting. and i hate hate hate boxes.. feel like im cheating.. icon_sad.gif

so thanks heaps! keen to try these suckers out! and if they dont work.. well.. they were destined to be cake truffles.. (my new discovery.. loving them too... hahaha)

you guys are awesome. thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:15am
post #106 of 142

Definitely try to get your hands on that Thai rice flour if you have time and are going to try the Hershey's or AllRecipes cakes. I see you are in Australia so that might be a hard thing to track down...then again you are substantially closer to Thailand than I am (LOL) so I have no idea if Thai products might be easily found there icon_biggrin.gif. This is what it looks like http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EYC096/?tag=cakecentral-20 .

noahsmummy Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 7:10am
post #107 of 142

ill do my best; i still have abit of time up my sleeve, i just like to be super organised(where i can be...haha) im close to sydney, and know there are a few asian marts around, so ill give one of them a go i think...

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 4:46am
post #108 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-A

Quote:

Does anyone have a recipe for a really great sponge cake? I've never tasted one and I'd like to try it out. I've seen Buddy on using that type of cake and wondered what it tasted like.

sponge cake is quite the norm for aussies and i made this about 3 weeks ago and it turned out very yummy

4 eggs
3/4 cup caster sugar (fine sugar)
2/3 cup wheaten cornflour
1/4 cup custard powder
1 teaspoon cream of tatar
1/2 teaspoon bicrabonate of soda (you call this baking soda)

for the middle of the cake
1/3 cup apricot jam (i think you call this jelly)
300ml thickend cream whipped

preheat oven to 180/160C fan forced
grease and flour 2 deep round pans, shake away excess flour
beat eggs and sugar in bowl until mixture is thick and creamy and sugar is disolved
triple shift dry ingredients
fold into egg mixture - do not over mix!
divide sponge mixture between pans
bake for about 20mins
turn sponges onto wire rack to cool
sandwhich sponges with jam and cream

i cant stress enough not to mix the mixture too much when you are adding the dry ingredients - you need to keep the cake as light and fluffy as possible

anyone here ever heard of aussie Lamingtons? i havent made these for ages but i might have to drag out the recipe

Made some for Australia Day, Mrs-A icon_smile.gif I, too, hadn't made them forever but they turned out sublime! All from scratch too. I actually came across a really interesting mock cream recipe for it too.

krazyb5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazyb5 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 5:26am
post #109 of 142

THANKS

noahsmummy Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 1:01am
post #110 of 142

evoir..what do you mean by "mock cream"...=/

Evoir Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:09am
post #111 of 142

Its like a buttercream that mimics whipped cream, so you can put it into eclairs, cream buns, cream horns, and lamingtons instead of the fresh whipped cream you'd normally use - therefore eliminating the need to refrigerate. Its very white in colour too.

Mrs-A Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:40am
post #112 of 142

im attempting to make my first red velvet cake... and the first RV cake that anyone i my office has ever seen as well - we dont do this one down here

but... the recipe said buttermilk and i got my buttermilk out that i opened only 5 days ago (with a 10th march expiry) and it didnt smelll or look right - so i had to use normal milk as its all i had left

i will say i thought the cake mix would look a darker red - will have to see what comes out of the oven

glendaleAZ Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:56am
post #113 of 142

Mrs - A, which recipe are you making?

I have Elisa Strauss Red Velvet (smittenkitchen) in the oven right now.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:16am
post #114 of 142

when i make red velvet. the mock cream is better that cream cheese icing for it. tastes really great.. i like cream cheese too. but the mock cream is delicious.

Evoir Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:17am
post #115 of 142

Mrs-A, I had better success in terms of taste making a scratch red velvet recipe...I did a packet first though to get an idea of the colour it should be (using a Betty Crocker mix). It can seem a little dry (compared to my other cakes) but I it certainly is a 'different' sort of cake to try! I think I'd use a cream cheese frosting next time I make it icon_smile.gif

Evoir Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:19am
post #116 of 142

And I have had a few orders for it, so it is somewhat known down under!

Mrs-A Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:23am
post #117 of 142

im using the paula deen recipe i got off this site. i was going to do the Raven/cakemans recipe but there was a thread comparing the 2 and i like the sound of the Deen on more

first time im every using those bake strips on the side of the pan too and WOW....no mountain rising on the cake... its level and high so far

glendaleAZ Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:35am
post #118 of 142

I just pulled mine out of the oven.

The cake cooked wonderfully, high and flat top.
The taste is very good.
With a dark red color. (not real dark though)
I think it would make a good stacking cake.

I liked this one better than Rose's and almost as good a Cakeman's.

Please let me know how your cake turns out, okay?

Mrs-A Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:50am
post #119 of 142

diaster!!!!!!!!!

massive cake fail as it completely fell in on itself and i have a major crater in the middle of the cake icon_sad.gif

any idea why?

first time ive used the baking strips and the cake top was actually level with the top of the cake pan - does that cause it to fall?

i also lowered the temp a bit as ive found my cake cooked the top a bit crusty so instead of 175c i had it at 160c

the red did get a nice dark red colour though..... and im now thinking cake balls with whats left over icon_sad.gif

*sigh* will have to try this again as a cake next week - cant be beaten

glendaleAZ Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:40am
post #120 of 142

Im not an expert by any means, but I have noticed (after making 5 RV recipes over the past two weeks) that some of them are very sensitive to movement, meaning that if I jarred the pan or oven rack to much the cake would completely fall in the center - even after I removed it from the oven.

Ive never used baking strips before, so I cant help you there.

Sometimes my cakes go over the rim a bit, and fall a little, but not a lot.

How did the cake taste?

What was the texture like?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%